Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Inventor Files to Vault 2012

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
cjanderson1985
983 Views, 7 Replies

Importing Inventor Files to Vault 2012

Hi, We have a client who will soon be using Vault (currently do not use any version of vault just have all Inventor files sved in directories) I have been trying to move a test assembly into Vault but the Client side Vault Pro application warns that I should do this from Inventor itself. I see the option to log in to vault from Inventor, as well as the Vault tab on the toolbar, but do not see anywhere that allows me to add it to vault, The only buttons that aren't greyed out are the log in or log out. Am I missing something here, thanks. Also, will we really have to open each assembly in inventor one at a time to get them into Vault? That would take months.....
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: cjanderson1985

Callup your assembly or files into Inventor.

At the top of the model tree select the down arrow next to "Model"

vault.JPG

Select "Vault"

Then you can RC on the top file and select checkin

vault2.JPG

Also make sure all of these files are in your vault working forlder before opening them up in Inventor.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 8

Thanks! What happens to the assembly files would they atill be accessqble by opening directly?
Message 4 of 8
Cadmanto

Yes, they can be.  When you check in files you can either check the box that says "Keep files checked out"

or you can check the one that says " Close files and delete working copy"

vault2.JPG

If you keep files checked ou then they will stay on your local drive.  I assume this is what you are talking about.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 8
cjanderson1985
in reply to: Cadmanto

Basically yes. I am just wondering if there is a way to send an assembly to Vault without affecting the original data, leaving it usable in the same way it was without Vault. I would creat a copy but effects the references. Thanks
Message 6 of 8

I assume you realize that you'll need to log into the Vault application from within Inventor, correct?

Doing so in Inventor (and any other application you use with Vault like AutoCAD, MS Office docs, etc.)

Open the files in Inventor and store into Vault for the first time by doing the Check in command on the Vault menu in Inventor. Mind you, Vault will replicate the exact directory structure where the files resides on your local drive.

So if you have the part/assembly on the: C:\Vault\Projects directory, Vault will create and store that file in Vault with the very same structure. So the path in Vault would look something to the effect of: Project Explorer ($)\Vault\Projects.

Basically be sure you have your directory structure defined on your local drive prior to storing files in Vault.

But also note, by keeping the files checked out to you, only you can modify those files....everyone else is locked out of the files.

I'm not sure what you mean about leaving the data usable. Vault is nothing more than a depository with permission controls. Making copies to work with basically defeats the purpose.

And yes, you should always access and store the Inventor files into Vault from within the Inventor application. Inventor assemblies are link driven, doing these steps within Inventor prevents those links from being broken or corrupted, something you really, really don't want to have happen.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 7 of 8
Cadmanto

Like Jim said. If you call the files up in Inventor they keep the same integrity in the vault once checked in as they did

when you first got them.  Except they are more secure and revision controlled.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 8

Thanks for all the clarification. Basically what i meant by useable was wanting to know if Vault moved any files/directories imported into it to its own file store , or if it left all files where they originally were, accessing them from there. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report