Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the id of a folder category

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2

How to get the id of a folder category

Hi,

I need to script the creation of new folders in Vault.  For this I understand I'm to use  the AddFolderWithCategory( name, parent, isLib, categoryId ) method.

I can't find the categoryId that would apply to create a folder of type "Project"

What method should I use to get an iterable object of folder types each containing, presumably, a possible categoryId to feed as the fourth parameter to the  AddFolderWithCategory( ,,, categoryId ) method?

Suggestion: why is the ID not visible in the human-readable properties of categories?  I could easily hard-code this, but I can't even find what to hard-code.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I've found clues that lead to the answer.

Turns out the EntityClassId value for the 'Folder' Entity type is "FLDR". 

This is explained in the VaultAPI.chm under the "Entities and Behaviors" topic.

It's ironic that Vault uses INT64 space for its IDs, but uses "FLDR" as opposed to the more literate and wholly logical "FOLDER" for this entity type.  

I'm leaving this here because when people search for "Folder" and "Entity Type" it can be a long slog througn a crapton of bum-steers until, finally, this comes to light.  At least that was the case for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report