Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect to Vault with a non CAD workplace

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
IT-BWTEC
491 Views, 6 Replies

How to connect to Vault with a non CAD workplace

I was able to install Vault Basic Server 2013 on our infrastructure. But now is here my big question, how are my two colleagues, which only need to view and print drawings, able to get connected to Vault? I wasn't able to install the Vault Client on they're PC, there was an error that I can't install it without CAD ...

Kind regards

Ben 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

B. Koch,

Correct, you cannot install basic Vault on client machines that do not have an instance of CAD installed (not the case for higher levels of Vault).

If they only need to view and print, you mght want to consider using DWF files which are or can be automatically generated once a file is saved in Vault (if I'm not mistaken you can set this process up to save the DWF files to a general location on your server for non-user access).

http://usa.autodesk.com/design-review/

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 3 of 7

Thx for your fast answer Jim. So this would just be a workaround. I'd like to have a professional solution.

If we upgrade to Vault Workgroup (is this the server or the client version?) they would be able to connect to it?

Do we need for every Workplace a licence or just for the CAD Workplaces or just one Server license? Do the non CAD Workplaces need any more Software (e.g. Vault Office)?

Ben 

Message 4 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: IT-BWTEC

vault workgroup consists of a server and a client program

you would have to upgrade vault database to vault workgroup

license is based on log ins

ex: 5 people need to log in to vault at the same time thats 5 vault workgroup you need to buy

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
IT-BWTEC
in reply to: DarrenP

thanks for your support.

ben 

Message 6 of 7
mark.cloyed
in reply to: IT-BWTEC

One more clarification.  If you use Vault Workgroup or above, the client can be installed on a machine that does not have a CAD application installed.

Mark

Regards,
Mark Cloyed
IMAGINiT Technologies
Message 7 of 7
DarrenP
in reply to: mark.cloyed

yes

but once you upgrade its recommended for everybody be on vault workgroup  because you cannot connect a vault  basic client to a vault workgroup database

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report