Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I show the state system property on the title block?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
clintw
1132 Views, 5 Replies

How do I show the state system property on the title block?

Hi all,

I'd like to show the Vault lifecycle state of a drawing (Inventor and AutoCAD) in the drawing title block. When I went to create the mapping for it, it simply states "cannot create mappings for this property". So how do I link the state property in Vault to the drawing title block? Or is it not recommended - is there another option?

Also, I am assuming that if we choose NOT to use a job server and instead use the quick-change state to perform an "update properties" for a released document, that it will show quick-change on the document as the state instead of released?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
cbenner
in reply to: clintw

Some system properties do not allow you to map to file properties.  Looks like this is one of them.  If you look down the list you should see State (Historical).  That one appears to be mappable to files.  The way I understand this property (and I invite someone to tell me if I'm wrong), is that it holds onto the State names of historical files if you modify the names of your File Lifecycle states.  Files that have the state changed after you change the State names will show the new State name value, while files that were modified before you changed them will still show the old (historical) value.  If you do NOT choose to set up custom lifecycle states, the State (Historical) should be the same as State.  

My advice would be to set the mapping and try it out on some dummy files to see if it does what you want it to do.

Message 3 of 6
clintw
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks Chris, I've seen the state (historical) in there but for some reason never gave it a thought in this instance. I'll test it out today (time permitting) and advise.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 6
ryan

Yes, State (Historical) is the one you need to map in order to get the Lifecycle State to show in the Titleblock.

If you are mapping it to an AutoCAD attribute though, there is just a small amount of extra work (add block name to titleblock list on server) before you can establish the mapping.

Historical vs. Non-historical values will almost always be identical.  The only exception is that if someone goes into the administration and changes the names (e.g. Review is renamed to Under Review) in which case State will be Under Review and State (Historical) will be Review.

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 5 of 6
clintw
in reply to: ryan

Thanks Chris and Ryan, using the state (historical) works as expected. Of course the quick-change state is a small issue, although we are looking at some LISP or VBA to get around that (if we can get it to work). Or we'll just use the job server! We are only a small department, so would like to avoid another licence if possible.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
janikatukuri

Clint,

According to your post, it seems that you can link the State ( Historical) to the attribute in AutoCAD.

Whenever I add the system State( Historical) property, it's not even adding to the attribute.

I got this working for inventor files, but not for AutoCAD files.

Can anyone Help.....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report