Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Change Category of a DWF

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jddrinkwater
654 Views, 3 Replies

Help: Change Category of a DWF

I just ran in to a major headache and I need some help.  We've recently implemented a new workflow, lifecycle, categories etc. Part of that involved creating a group of read-only users who are limited to released files.  Everything works fine EXCEPT they can't see any previews.  After some serious head scratching I've figured out it's because the DWFs aren't released.  Currently they are in the 'base' category.  I've created a rule for assigning new DWFs to their own category with a lifecycle which defaults to released but I can't change category on the 3500 existing DWFs.

PLEASE tell me I have a better option than deleting all those perfectly valid DWFs and regenerating them so that they get assigned to the right category.

As a test, I tried assigning a lifecycle to the Base categoty, but I get the same 'no changes detected' error.  The tic box is greyed out.

Capture.JPG

I need a cheat to get around the Vault restriction on hidden files so that I don't have to hammer my job processor and play the role of babysitter recreating 3500 DWFs.  Or alternatively - is there something I can do to give my "released files only" group access to view the unreleased DWFs?

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks!

John

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jddrinkwater
in reply to: jddrinkwater

Bump for help - Is there any way I can salvage these DWFs?

Message 3 of 4
mdurst

You can put your DWF's into categories by using Assignment Rules upon CREATION of the DWF.  You cannot manually assign a category to DWFs that already exist.

RULE:

Property: File Extension

Condition: is

Value: DWF

On another note, you should NOT have to Release DWF's in order to Release a design.  The only reason I can see why you would want to categorize your DWF's is security.  You may not want certain users seeing specific files and if you turn on Hidden Files you can still see the DWF's even though they can't see the actual CAD file unless you are using Folder Level Permissions then they obviously would be able to see what they were set to Read.

In a case where the "Restricted" files exist all over the Vault and not in one specific folder - folder level permissions will not suffice.

Message 4 of 4
Doug_DuPont

Hi John,

Did you even find a way to change dwf Categories on existing files?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Douglas DuPont
Inventor 2016 Pro, Vault 2016 Pro
Quadro M4000
Windows 10 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report