Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get a list or report of all drawings used?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mthomas
2743 Views, 7 Replies

Get a list or report of all drawings used?

I thought it would be easy but is there some method to quickly and easily pick a top level Inventor assembly and get a listing of all drawings (.idw & .dwg) used by that assembly and all of its components? Basically I want a method to get the drawing package for that assembly.

Batch plot can kind of do it, but there is no method that I can see to export or save a list. I can export the BOM from the items and do some excel magjic to kind-of get a listing, but this isn't really it either.

Ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Thomas

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
karthur1
in reply to: mthomas

As you already know, there is not an "easy" way to get this information.  You would think so, but there isnt.  Vault knows the structure and the files.  Just do a Get/Checkout on ur top most assembly and in the settings, choose "Include dependents" and "Include related documents". If there was a way to print this list, then you would have it... but there isnt.

Exporting the BOM to excel is probably ur best bet for now.

Something that I have been doing recently is when I want to print all the associated idws of a job, I open the top most iam and then run this macro and it prints all the idws (if they are in my workspace).  Not really what you are asking for, but it might help later.  It saves me a bunch of time.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Print-ALL-drawings-related-to-an-Assembly/td-p/25677...

You might be able to change this code and write the list to a txt file, then you would have it.

Message 3 of 8
mthomas
in reply to: karthur1

Thanks for the code. You are right its not exactly what I want but perhaps I can tweak the code to generate a list

Mike

Mike Thomas

Message 4 of 8
RobRidings1

Has anyone managed to succeed in exporting a list of all drawings associated to an assembly?

Inventor Pro 2021 Pro
Vault Pro 2021 Pro
Revit 2021
Navisworks Manage 2021
Windows 10 v1909, 64-bit
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.0GHz
64GB
Nvidia Quadro M4000
Message 5 of 8
VinceBalge

I use Pack&Go then uncheck all .ipt & .iam files. We've created a custom template file that acts as our transmittal.

It worked really well in 2011 but 2013 is a little clumsy, it doesn't sort by file type as well as 2011.

Gives you a PDF that can easily be converted to Word or Excel

Message 6 of 8
steveh3
in reply to: VinceBalge

Gang...If I'm understanding you here....there's an old script created by our budy Charlie Bliss call BomXtractor, been around for years. Infact, just used it this morning. It will allow you to pick a top level assembly from Inventor and it will create a spreadsheet in several different BOM arrays (Summarized, Indented, etc.). It will provide all the parts that Inventor used to make up the assembly. It runs outside of Inventor as a stand alone program. Just take not that if you have purchase assemblies like a gear box which is made up of .ipts, it will include the sub-components in the list too.

BomXtractor

You can also do some similar printing from Vault as mentioned in the original post. You can you use the "PLOT" command in Vault. Add related file sheets and let it crunch for a bit and it will compile all related .idw's. Once you have the list you can do a File/Export and send the list out to Excel and then hit print to get the .idws. I just did one and it took several minutes to gather 500 idws and I exported the list to excel. Sure beats manually doing this. In the old days it would have taken hours to compile all of these prints.

HTH,

Steve H.

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 7 of 8
RobRidings1
in reply to: VinceBalge

Thanks guys.
The report generated from the Pack and Go tool within Vault seems to do what I need it to do.

All I need to do now is modify the report template to display the info. that I need.

Inventor Pro 2021 Pro
Vault Pro 2021 Pro
Revit 2021
Navisworks Manage 2021
Windows 10 v1909, 64-bit
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.0GHz
64GB
Nvidia Quadro M4000
Message 8 of 8
jdineen

Hi Mike,

If you are using Vault Professional, then assign item to top level assembly, this will auto assign items to all children, create an change order and add this top level assembly item to the records tab.

The files tab will auto populate in the change order and will show all files associated with this item, filters can then be applied to show only .idw files.

This info can then be copied out of vault and pasted into an excel file, where formatting can be applied as required.

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report