Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Previous Version & Can't Checkout

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
jhagarty
3006 Views, 13 Replies

Get Previous Version & Can't Checkout

I wanted to go back to a previous design in Vault Collaboration 2011 so I chose the version I wanted in Vault and did a Get to copy to my local drive.  I can't checkout any of the files that no longer match the current revision in the Vault.  The checkout option is greyed out.  Any idea what need to do to get this checked back into Vault?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
csmac2004
in reply to: jhagarty

This is the process I use to get a previous version:

1. Find the version in Vault, right click on it and select "Open"
  2. Go back to Vault, right click on the file and select "Get/Checkout"
  3. Check the box to check out the file BUT also expand the box and UNCHECK the option to Download Files
  4. Go back to Inventor, switch to the Vault browser and refresh.
  5. Save the file and continue working as normal

Let me know if this doesn't work. The key here is to make sure you do not download a new file when doing the Get/Checkout from Vault so it doesn't overwrite the old version you just opened!

Scott MacDonald
Inventor 2013 Product Design Suite
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 14
Barvas11
in reply to: jhagarty

Useless answer. Doesn't work!

Message 4 of 14
csmac2004
in reply to: Barvas11

Useless reply then... You did it wrong.

Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Message 5 of 14
matt.smith
in reply to: Barvas11

The steps csmac2004 listed are correct--you want to get the old version in your workspace and checkout the file (without changing what is in your workspace). Then, check-in from Inventor as usual.

What does "Doesn't work!" mean?  What part of the steps don't work for you?

- Matt

Message 6 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: matt.smith

Hi,

I've been playing with this in an attempt to help another user.  I don't normally deal with this situation.  I've tried reproducing the steps listed above, and when I refresh the file in Inventor, it checks out as "Read Only", and I can't save.  It's also replacing the drawing with a different version, even though I have unchecked the "download" box.  I have tried this with both released and unreleased bias with the same results.  I must be missing one step somewhere.  Any ideas?

BTW, I did not think it was a useless answer.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 14
csmac2004
in reply to: cbenner

I wonder, if these steps aren't working, maybe instead of refreshing (step 4) try closing the file and re-opening it? You would still have the old version locally (due to step 1), and if steps 2 & 3 were OK then you would still have it checked out. That might "kick" the Inventor/Vault connection into gear, if you know what I mean?

Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Message 9 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: csmac2004

That seems to be working.  Seems odd to have to do that, but I'm not going to knock success.  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the quick answer.  I'll put the other user onto this thread, hopefully it will solve his problem as well.

Message 10 of 14
matt.smith

It might be that when you do a checkout and *don't* download files that it doesn't remove the read-only from the file (and I'm not sure whether that is correct or not). 

However, a colleague of mine recommended that we change the order a bit: 

1. Do the Get/Checkout of the file(s) first (i.e. download and checkout the *latest*).  This will get the file checked out as well make them non-readonly.

2. Now do a Get of the file(s) and choose the version you want to revert to.  The files are already checked out, so this operation is just to get the historical version on disk.  I assume that doing the download only here will not set them to readonly.

What concerns me is that you are saying in your steps that you choose *not* to download, and that that step is still downloading some of the related documents.  That one, I can't explain.  You might want to start a support case on that.

Let me know how it goes,

- Matt

Message 11 of 14
cbenner

Matt...

That worked also.  But in your second step where you said "Get" the older version, after checking out the latest?  I think you meant to say "Open" the older version?  Vault then warns that you have a newer version of the file checked out, do you want to overwrite with data from the Vault? And you say yes, to open the older version already checked out.  Checking it back in then replaces the latest version, with the older one you selected with no read only issues.

Both methods seem to work, though I think this one may seem a bit cleaner and with fewer steps? 

Message 12 of 14
matt.smith

Sounds right. 

However, I was referring to just getting the right files on disk and getting the right checked out status independent of Inventor.  So, it should be able to work without using "Open" from Vault.  "Open" from Vault is problematic in that it *always* downloads files and it *always* gathers dependents with hard-coded settings.  By doing a "Get" (rather than open), and have more control over the relationship gathering settings (i.e. do you care about children, do you care about parents, and should it be release biased or not). 

Does that make sense, or is there a step in my description that doesn't work properly which made you choose the "Open" approach instead?

Once you have everything right on disk, you could then proceed to open in Inventor and do the check-in.

Message 13 of 14
cbenner

Message 14 of 14
csmac2004

I like the re-order much better, thanks Matt! I'll let my team know as well to make sure they avoid the same issues.

Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report