Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexLM ACAD issue

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
jddrinkwater
594 Views, 15 Replies

FlexLM ACAD issue

I have an issue with ACAD and inventor where they aren't able to get a Vault license. 

I have the FlexNet licensing server installed on PC100 (vault server).

From PC102 (user machine) I can launch the Vault client and I can see the license being checked out by looking at the log file. I can ping PC100 by name and by IP and I get 100% package delivery success rate.

Now, when I launch Inventor or AutoCAD, I get this message:

Capture.JPG

Looking at the log, there is no entry mentioning PC102 is trying to check out a license for Inventor/ACAD; it’s as if they are blocked from seeing the License Manager.

Please help!

Thanks,

John

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
jddrinkwater
in reply to: jddrinkwater

I forgot to mention that this is Vault Pro 2012 and product design suite 2012.

Message 3 of 16

Based on the screen capture, this looks like it is on the initial load of AutoCAD and Inventor.  Is there a license file for AutoCAD and Inventor on your license server?  If you just have the Vault license, it will only work for Vault Explorer.

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 4 of 16

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply.  On the file server there is a license file (.lic) obtained from Autodesk; and yes, the license covers AutoCAD, Inventor, and Vault 2012.

Is there a way I can verify this for myself by looking at the .lic file?

Thanks,
John

Message 5 of 16

There should be a way to see it in the license file itself.  There should be a line that starts with INCREMENT.  I am expecting you to have 3 (AutoCAD, Inventor, and Vault) for 2012.  Also, when you bring up the License Manager itself there is a way to see the status.   Just select the "Server Status" tab and click "Perform Status Enquiry", you should see a list of the licenses you have.  There you want to see 3 entries that contain 2012 in the string after "Users of...".

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 6 of 16

Hi Jim,

We've checked that we do indeed have licenses for the suites products.  We have also asked Autodesk for a new license file, but that hasn't solved the issue.  Is there anything else you can think of to check?

It is very strange as it stopped working out of the blue.  This is an existing installation, it's been running fine for months.  Have you seen any instances where a windows update or other event may cause this sort of issue?  It is probably our fault somehow, but we haven't found any trigger for this problem yet and are shooting in the dark.  Everybody swears up and down that they haven't changed anything. 

Thanks again for the assistance!

John

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: jddrinkwater

is this happening on all computers or some of them?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

a -15 error is Cannot connect to license server system.
The server (lmgrd) has not been started yet, or the wrong port@host or license file is
being used, or the TCP/IP port or host name in the license file has been changed.

did any of this change?

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
jddrinkwater

All machines.  Several weeks ago there were some changes to the network, but everything was working again after the changes.  I still can't figure out why the client is able to pull a license, but the AutoCAD and Inventor addins cannot.

We'll keep looking and report back!

Thanks,

John

Message 10 of 16

Hi John,

I noticed that you have the proper license for ACAD.  Is it possible that all the Vault licenses are being consumed?  Try this test... Open up the Vault Explorer client and get a license, while that is still open you go to either Inventor or ACAD and open up the add-in.  Does it fail at that point?

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 11 of 16

Hi Jim,

With the Vault Client running, it shows 1/3 licenses checked out.  when you open ACAD it prompts for the license server which we specify, then chugs for a bit before throwing the error.  there is no entry in the FlexLM log to suggest the request for a license from ACAD made it through.

We've had to contact our reseller and buy some support hours to get this resolved.  I'll post the final solution when we find it.  In the meantime we'd love to hear any more suggestions.

Thanks,
John

Message 12 of 16

I would see if you can get into Autodesk support as well.  The reason I say that is that a Vault license is already consumed so when you open up one of the "add-ins" you should just be able to get right into the Vault since you already have the license.

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 13 of 16
DarrenP
in reply to: JamesMcMullen

can you try using the Flex LM Timeout  enviroment variable: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7574782&linkID=9240617

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 14 of 16
jddrinkwater

Hi Darren and Jim,

Thanks very much for your help.  We just solved this - our corporate IT pushed out new rules for the firewall etc. in the background which caused all the headache.  Of course these things are done silently and without obvious traces, so it's taken some time for us to track down.  After adding an exception for FlexLM, we're back in business!

Thanks again!

John

Message 15 of 16

The reason why the Vault Client would get a license and AutoCad would not, is that ADMS requests the license on behalf of the client. The Vault Client never quieres the flexlm server, this is performed by the server 🙂

Message 16 of 16

That might be the case for Vault Basic.  However Vault Pro, which is what John said he was using in an earlier post, uses a similar mechanism where it goes to the ADMS Server which in turn pulls the license.

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report