Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding moved files

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
designengineer
510 Views, 11 Replies

Finding moved files

I have moved some files, from one folder to another, which i would like to "Undo"
Is there any other way to undo my move?
Which column would i need, to find those files?
Many thanks

inventor 2008 sp2
vault build 12.1.145.0
Atuocad 2008 sp1

Autodesk Design review:
build version 4.1.0.87
DWF toolkit 7.3.0.142
Whip! toolkit 7.8.601.142
Heidi 9.0.54.0
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Madhan_T
in reply to: designengineer

Hi Dave,

I am not sure if there is a direct way to do this. May be you can try "Get Previous version" and Add the files again from the Add-in as a workaround.

Creating "Label" prior to move action may also help to bring back to the previous state but it is something the user needs to always remember. Anyway, I will pass this to development for brainstorming.

Regards,
Madhan

Madhanagopal Thiruvenkatachalam
Principal Engineer
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 12

Hi Madan,
Moving a file doesn't create another version. We have resently done an autoload on 12 gig of files. I was doing a bit of house keeping and and general tidying up, and made a mistake. I really need to undo this. Many thanks for your help. I do hope there is a way. It seams such a simple thing...Fingers crossed.
Message 4 of 12
Madhan_T

Hi,

Well. Actually, I meant to say that "Get previous version" on the assembly. To find the assemblies that were versioned by MOVE action, you need to search for "Fixed by References" in VE, this will bring up the related assemblies. Then you can use "Get previous version". I understand that it is not an easy task. But I thought I would pass it on.

I will also check this with experts and update you if I get a better suggestion.

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Are you able to do a search on those files you moved? If you can find them,
right-click the file and select Go To Folder. This will bring you to the
current location of the file, you can then move it back. There isn't an
undo move feature.

Hope this helps,
Carol
Message 6 of 12
Madhan_T

Hi,

I am sorry about the other suggestion regarding Label. I realized that it does not help to undo move action either.

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12
Madhan_T

Hi,

As you mentioned that you had uploaded the files recently using Autoloader, I was wondering if there was any "Backup" taken from ADMS before the MOVE action. If so, you can just Restore the database. But, again this is something time consuming process. I just thought of passing this idea.

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 12

Hi, and thanks for your input.
I will clarify a little.
I moved ipts and iams from folder 1, into folder 2, where lots of other ipts and iams already reside. I know the location of both folders, i want to move the ipts and iams i moved from folder 1 to folder 2, BACK to folder 1, but i cant locate the files i moved amongst all the other files, in folder 2....confused? lol

I did do a full copy of the data before the upload. If there is no other option I will restore them from there. Thanks.

There are lots and lots of column fields, but not one to identify move?.....Maybe one for the wish list then?

Thanks again for your help an advice.
Message 9 of 12
Madhan_T

Hi,

Well. I have received some feedback from experts and I am passing it here for your consideration.

1. Search for iam based on the following Criteria.
"Comment contains Move"
2. Select the assembly and click "Go to folder"
3. Click "Uses" tab and select a IPT that was moved from “folder2 “ to “folder1”.
4. RMB on the IPT and choose "Go to folder" - Now you will be able to see "Folder2".
5. Select all the files in the folder and move them back to "Folder1"

I am sorry I do not have a better suggestion at this moment. However, I understand the complications involved with this and I will definitely pass it to Product Designers for future consideration.

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 12

Thanks for your help Madan.
I have done a simple exercise, and hope you can guide me....
Take a look at the snap shot.
I moved folder parts 1 into folder parts 2.

Comment contains move does not work, as the comment 'move' doesn't show, after moving the parts.

Is something not working correctly for me?

I can move these parts back and forth many times, with no indications from vault....this could be costly? see other posts on moving files that are on someones local workspace..

It took me 5mins to do this simple exercise...does it work for anyone else?...

Again, thanks for your help.
Message 11 of 12
Madhan_T

Hi,

The comment "Move" should be available for Assembly (if the parts are reference in the assembly).

From the attachment, I see that the version of IAM files does not get new version number. Are you sure that those parts are referenced in the assembly?

Regards,
Madhan

Principal Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 12

Hi,
The parts have been placed into the relevant iams, & I added a couple of constraints. See attached.
I moved them around again, still with no way to indicate the move. i.e. no comments.

I did a search in my vault and a few files have got these comments:
'Move File' & 'Fixed references for move folder'

Many thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report