Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error deleting folders in Vault Pro 2012

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
rpicinic
819 Views, 14 Replies

Error deleting folders in Vault Pro 2012

Cannot delete a folder in Vault Pro 2012, even after just creating one, all done as Vault Administrator from a client PC.

No special security settings on folders. No hidden files left over in the folders.

Wondering if this could be a Windows security setting that someone in IT set on the Vault Server.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
olearya
in reply to: rpicinic

Hi there,

What sort of error message are you seeing here and is there anything appearing in the server logs coinciding with this issue?

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 15
rpicinic

Error 0 Operation failed: System error. Please contact your system administrator. Image is included.
Message 4 of 15
olearya

Thanks for your response - I assume from the original post you have tested this with multiple Vault users, but is this happening on just one machine or is this repeatable across different PC's? 

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 15
rpicinic
in reply to: olearya

Actually, yes. All users of the Vault .... basically any login does not have privileges to delete folders. Strange, but they can create them, but can't delete them.

This just started happening from December. I believe that their IT dept has put some type of restrictions on the Vault user account (possibly). 

Any thoughts?

Message 6 of 15
DannyvanDuijn2

Perhaps there are limitations in the usergroup?

Check the user and group settings which roles are applied.

Danny van Duijn

Message 7 of 15
olearya
in reply to: DannyvanDuijn2

We do not have any Vault user permission levels that allow you to create but prevent folder delete.  Are you by any chance controlling folder security by applying lifecycle states?

At this stage it would be useful if you could provide the server log so we can investigate any errors corresponding with the folder delete command.

http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/log-file-locations.html

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 15
DannyvanDuijn2
in reply to: olearya

Allan,

Permissions can be controleld at 3 levels (within Vault):

1) Directly on the folder

See attached image. What you say about folder permissions (ACL) is that Modify permissions can not create folders?

2) lifecycle definition on folders (as you mentioned)

3) Userroles

When the user or usergroup has the role Document Editor (level 1) then the user can create a folder, but cannot delete it.

Maybe is role is applied to all users and/or groups.....

Outside Vault there are Windows accounts active, which I assume have not changed. Otherwise their Vault would have had more problems.

Danny

Message 9 of 15
olearya
in reply to: DannyvanDuijn2

Hi Danny,

Good feedback - I had figured this could not be ACL due to the nature of the issue and I was thinking we did not differentiate create / delete (restricted) folder permissions via roles but you are quite right, Editor 1 can create a folder but not delete a folder.

Hopefully this is the case!

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 15
jparks_79

Has there been any resolution to this error? We are now seeing the same problem here on our folders. Very strange. I cannot seem to delete any folders with any account.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Message 11 of 15
rpicinic
in reply to: jparks_79

Not really. Autodesk Support team is working on this issue. It seems like it is an environmental issue. Both Autodesk Support and myself have not been able recreate the issue on a restored backup of this Vault.

More info to come, once we see what the latest Autodesk Support setting changes are applied. 

I'll try to keep you all posted on the next round of tests.

Message 12 of 15
jparks_79

Awesome. We are in a multi site environment. I logged in to another workgroup and found that users are allowed to delete folders. So I guess that confirms that it is probably a problem with our local database replica.

Thanks for the update!

Jeremy

Message 13 of 15
minkd

To delete a folder in a Workgroup Replication environment, the site you are logged into must be in the workgroup that has ownership of the folder (and possibly the parent folder).  You can transfer ownership using the "Manage Ownership" button on the actions menu.

In 2013, we made changes to our clients so that when they get the workgroup ownership exception they will automatically try to get workgroup ownership of the required entities.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 14 of 15
jparks_79
in reply to: minkd

Hi dave,

I am aware of file and folder ownership. This is not an ownership issue, at least not an apperrent one. Admin users can create a folder. But then cannot delete it. (Getting the error mentioned earlier in the post) The same user, when logged into a different workgroup can create and delete folders. Users can create and delete files. The problem seems to be limited to folders only.

It is very strange, and I have only just noticed this behavior today. This error "0", makes me think there is something corrupt at this site only. Or maybe there is some process waiting to run on the server that will heal itself tonight?

Lets see if it is better in the morning. Other wise, support request, here we come 🙂

Message 15 of 15
jparks_79

Hi rpicinic,

Did you get the resolution from autodesk? If not, the problem in our system was we enabled the logging feature for deleted items.

Apperently this can cause a problem in some instances with deleting folders. As soon as I removed the switch from the web.config file, the problem went away.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report