Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit PDF Properties in Autodesk Vault

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Jonathan.Landeros
3451 Views, 5 Replies

Edit PDF Properties in Autodesk Vault

I'm testing out iFilters for PDFs in Vault, and I've got everything talking to Vault.

I can get the properties to write in, no problem.  What doesn't seem to work is editing the properties in Vault.  The properties are just grayed out. 

Is this a function of the iFilter (where I'm stuck?)  Or have I missed a step.

I've tested the Adobe iFilter and the pdf Xfilter. Both have the same issue.

Has anyone run into this or found a way around it? 

====================================================

It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill.
Wilbur Wright

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Tags (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ryan
in reply to: Jonathan.Landeros

Hi Jonathan, hope all is well!

You can edit the properties of the files in the vault; however, doing so will require that you edit the property mapping and under the Other Files provider, remove the unidrectional mapping (from vault to file).  Of course, this comes at a cost because since you are removing the mapping, any subsequent files that you add to vault will not have their properties read in for those where you have removed the mapping.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way we can setup a bidirectional mapping for PDF files such that we can both read and write properties like we can for other types such as Inventor, AutoCAD and Office.  I would be happy to be proven wrong 😉

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 3 of 6
Jonathan.Landeros
in reply to: ryan

Hey, Ryan! I hope things are going well for you. 

I checked it out, and it looks like that's the rub.  It won't let me change the bi-directionality.  It seems to only want to write from the PDF to Vault.  The pulldown won't even open to change any settings.  

I'm giving it a couple of tests, but it looks like the iFilter and Vault don't want to work this way.

I wonder if this is "just how the iFilters function", or if there's another iFilter for PDFs that would do it.

====================================================

It is possible to fly without motors, but not without knowledge and skill.
Wilbur Wright

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Message 4 of 6
ryan
in reply to: Jonathan.Landeros

Right, it won't let you change the direction but of course you can remove the mapping altogether which would let you edit the properties in vault (albeit, with the restriciton i indicated).

I don't *think* that there is a way for vault to have a bi-directional mapping for PDF files unless Autodesk implemented it as a Content Provider (such that you could select Adobe PDF in the dropdown) but admittedly, I'm not certain if this is true or not.   If you do happen to find out how to do it, let me know.

Hope to run into you again at another conference soon.

-Ryan

Ryan Small
National Team Leader, Data Management and Software Development
SolidCAD, a Cansel Company (an Autodesk Platinum Partner)
www.solidcad.ca
Message 5 of 6

As you got to know so far, it's not an issue actually and it can be fixed in several steps. But I feel for you, this very thing had me struggled not so long ago as well. Back then I hadn't found anything more legit than to edit properties of that file manually through another editor https://4000a-125-2-form.pdffiller.com/ But only later then I found out it's also possible to do without using any third-tier editors, what was not that obvious, I would say

Message 6 of 6
b.mccarthy
in reply to: nameispalmer

Can you outline the steps involved to accomplish this, please?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report