Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do custom objects need to be defined as categories as well?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
fnacer
344 Views, 4 Replies

Do custom objects need to be defined as categories as well?

In his blog, 'Vault is “Insanely Configurable” Too', Doug outlined the steps for creating a custom object and assigning it properties. But even though I followed the exact steps he described, I am unable to assign new properties to the custom objects Foo and Bar because they do not appear on the list as shown in the screenshot below.

Do custom objects also need to be defined as Categories in order for them to behave as described in the blog? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

F.

Picture1.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
paul.gunn
in reply to: fnacer

Hi,

I don't think you need a new category here. However I think you do need to check the 'base' category nested unter the 'custom object' selection you already have checked.

Paul

Message 3 of 5
Redmond.D
in reply to: paul.gunn

Although defining a category isn't required. I highly recommend creating at least one catgory per custom object definition.  If you have more than one custom object defintion, categories allow you to group the properties for each type.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 5
cbenner
Message 5 of 5
fnacer

Thanks all. By the way, the creative names are the ones Doug Redmond used. That's one of the many reasons I enjoy reading his blog. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report