Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploy Vault Client with GPO

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
WalkerRA
537 Views, 9 Replies

Deploy Vault Client with GPO

Is this possible?

-Russ
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: WalkerRA

Not to sound ignorant... but what is GPO? are you looking to do "silent installs" of the client? if so this is possible... -- Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk Data Management Solutions
Message 3 of 10
WalkerRA

Sorry - Group Policy Object. It's a Windows feature that allows applications to be installed silently and to be assigned to users or computers. I've been able to deploy IV, Acad, and other applications this way.

As far as Vault goes, I need to specify "client" install only. I either need to generate a transform (.mst) file or specify parameters when generating the admin install to do this.

-Russ
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks Russ, You can deploy vault's client using windows installer (MSI) command line parameters to specify what options need to be selected during the installation. Here is an example I passed on to Brian Schanen who was able to successfully deploy vault to 100 users using this method and I think SMS. Brian might have some more insight, however here is the example. **** Msiexec.exe /i \\\\\cdrom\vault.msi ADSK_SILENT_LICENSE=YES SERVER=1 /L*v c:\Vault3.log ADDLOCAL=SERVER,FONTS,MSREDIST,SHARED /qb **** I know of a few companies that have successfully done this with the client. -- Brian Roepke Product Manager Autodesk Data Management Solutions
Message 5 of 10
WalkerRA

Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't have SMS, but this certainly gives me something to work with.

Thanks Again!

-Russ
Message 6 of 10
WalkerRA

Group Policy Objects don't provide for command line switches or properties, only transforms (.mst) or modified installer packages (.msi). One would think this was a simple matter. That would be a mistake, at least for the non-rocket scientists in the crowd.

I downloaded and tried a couple of "repackagers". I had good luck with the Wise package. The only snag is that it's price tag is $1700! The cheaper package did not work 8-(

Autodesk provides a network deployment tool for AutoCAD and IV. With the integration and interoperability of these packages with Vault it would be nice to have the same for Vault in the future.

-Russ
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

In Brian's example, just change the 'server' to 'client' and you get an unattended client install, I actually use Zenworks but the parameters are the same. Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
Message 8 of 10
WalkerRA

I caught the 'client' / 'server' swap, but it doesn't help.

GPO doesn't allow for command line parameters, only .mst 'transform' files.

I've been wrestling with Wise Sol'ns and MaSaI to get something that works.

See attached dialog box for GPO options.

Isn't Zenworks a Novell app?

-Russ
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Don't know anything about the GPO stuff I'm afraid as we use Zen here to roll out Apps, and yes it is a Novell product, but will run on a Windows server quite happily so I've been told When I had to hack the msi for Inventor 8 to stop it creating shortcuts, I ended up using WinInstall LE if that's any help Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I'm hoping to get some more insight on this. I've written a few small batch files, but I'm lost on where to even start with this. Do I copy the contents of the CD to an accessible server path, and than run the script from every user station?

Any more details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Dettmer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report