Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/Design - Helpful Tips & Tricks for Large Assemblies

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
clara_csdrafting
371 Views, 2 Replies

Copy/Design - Helpful Tips & Tricks for Large Assemblies

In learning Vault on the job fairly recently, I have learned from others and discovered myself the following tips & tricks that save time -- especially when copy/designing large assemblies:

• The Replace Wizard is like finding text in a word document, and helps you to easily replace inputted text with updated text.  If you right-click a file and select Replace, this opens up the Replace Wizard.  I use this to easily update a prefix or suffix applied to several files.  NOTE: If you right-click an item under the New File Name column, Replace Wizard will only update text for new file names.  If you want to replace text in Vault paths, you need to right-click an item under this separate column to apply the Replace Wizard to that column. 

• To change all child items of an assembly to Copy status (rather than clicking each file individually), you can do this when in Design View by holding down CTRL + selecting the assembly's status icon to Copy. 

G'luck!

- Clara

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
kprom
in reply to: clara_csdrafting

These tips should be spelled out better in the Vault client.  They are essential to using copy design.  I would like to add, right click on the main assembly you are copying and choose do not copy library parts.  This will keep you from having to manual deselect all these.  This used to be default behavior bu they changed it back in 2012 or something for no apparent reason.

Message 3 of 3
clara_csdrafting
in reply to: kprom

Very valid point.  Also, very nice touch with the right-click tip you describe.  I'm currently on Vault Pro 2014, and this comes up as "Reuse Library Files" in my version. 

Thank you! 

- Clara

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report