Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Children State

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
dbrblg
588 Views, 7 Replies

Change Children State

What conditions determine whether you can change the state of drawing children?

When I try to change the state of a drawing, I am unable to select the part child to change its state, why?  It is checked in and is currently in the same state as the drawing.  I can change the part state manually.

In comparison if I try to change the state of an assy, I can select the parts which are checked in and available to me.

This only appears to be an issue with drawings????

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
hans.martin.haga
in reply to: dbrblg

Do you use different document categories for drawings and parts? If so, this is "as designed"...

In my opinion, Vault really should be able to link/handle equal states in separate document categories, so that a a drawing made up of documents in different categories can be released in a single operation.

Message 3 of 8
dbrblg

Yes we do use different categories for the drawing and parts.

Looking at this more closely, it appears that the files which are effected have a triangle symbol under the 'rev file status' column in the Change State dialog box.  There is nothing in help regarding 'rev file status' so at the moment am unsure what this means Smiley Sad

Hopefully you can see from the attached picture.

Message 4 of 8
hans.martin.haga

The "triangles" tell you that the drawing is pointing to older revisions of its children. You need to open the drawing and run a revise on each of the children, then check in the drawing again and re-run the "change state" operation.

Message 5 of 8

I agree with your suggestion its annoying and confusing for new users, and those who aren't involved in the administration of the Vault.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 6 of 8

If the children aren't checked out to you then it may be quicker to 'get' the files from the vault explorer, so your local files are overwritten with the latest from Vault. As opposed to running the revise on each individual file, or just those visible through the vault browser panel.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 8
mikel_martin

The triangle means that the row is a historical revision of the file.

You need to open/checkout the drawing and update is children to the correct revision and then check-in the drawing.

That will update the latest revision of the drawing to use the desired revision of the parts.

You may have different Categories and still have the same lifecycle definitions, which will allow you to more easly change state of the related files at the same time. When running the command in Vault Explorer you can have mixed LC Defs but it does require a few more clicks in the dialog in order to change states.

In order to keep the command as simple as possible the Change State command within the CAD app does require any files within the selection to be in the same lifecycle definition and state.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 8
VictorSantos
in reply to: mikel_martin

Hi Mikel Martin

I'm with same problem, but my files are in the same category.

I'm working with ipart and iassembly i think that is my problem. I use the get revision at inventor e than work but sometimes don't work.

you are will see the image and understand.

EM APROVAÇÃO = For review

LIBERADO = Released.

EM DESENVOLVIMENTO = Work In Progress

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report