Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Category rule for standard parts?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
CaSommerfeldt
1228 Views, 8 Replies

Category rule for standard parts?

Hi there,

I'm looking for a rule in Vault 2012 to assign a category "standard part" automatically to files, which come out of the Inventor 2012 content center library. Which is the best way to do this? Which property can I use for the rule?

ThanX,

Carsten

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: CaSommerfeldt

I don't know if this is the best solution, since I don't really know any programming or i-logic techniques, but I added a column to my CC parts mapped to Category iproperty.  I just called mine Content Center, and set that up as a custom Category in Item Master.  Seems to work fine, though it was a lot of work to add the column to the CC.

I'm more than open to learning a way to do this with some rule or add in, if anyone such a thing.

Message 3 of 9
luttena
in reply to: CaSommerfeldt

There is a way to do this using category assignment rules and property mapping. Instead of listing the steps here, I suggest you go to this page and view the awesome video tutorial that Brian Schanen put together on his blog page: http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2010/08/categorizing-inventor-content-center-files-wit...

Let me know if this works for you.

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Sr User Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 9

Hello Adam,

thanX, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Works fine! Smiley Happy

Regards from Germany,

🙂 Carsten

Message 5 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: luttena

This was a great video, but it only seems to work some of the time following the instructions.  Will this only work on "out of the box" CC parts?  Or should it also work on custom published parts as well?

Message 6 of 9
luttena
in reply to: cbenner

There is a property value that is being read in from the Inventor content center components. If you have added your own components to an Inventor content center library, I would expect them to have this property as well.

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Sr User Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: luttena

Thanks, Adam... something else is going on then, because this neat little trick only seems to work sporadically.  I think I've gotten 3 out of 10 to apply this rule and change the lifecycle.

Message 8 of 9
mikel_martin
in reply to: cbenner

These rules are used to change/set the Category.

However, changing the Category will not change the lifecycle once a lifecycle has been applied to the file.

We do this to make sure we don't introduce methods to circumvent process.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 9
LOONYLEN
in reply to: mikel_martin

Mikel,

We will be upgrading to V2013 in a few months.

We may even skip V2013 and go directly to V2014.

Until then I'm running V2012.

I would like to check into Vault, a custom Content Center file and have it automatically categorized as Content Center and the Lifecycle changed to one of my Lifecycles and state to released.

I can't seem to figure out how to write the rule.

Do you have an answer for this?

Len

Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report