Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot migrate iam and idw files in only one folder among 20

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Lalitkmr123
320 Views, 4 Replies

Cannot migrate iam and idw files in only one folder among 20

Hi,

I cant migrate assembly and idw files in  just one folder out of about 20 with task scheduler. rest 19 folders migrate ok. 

I upgraded vault basic from 2013 to 2014.

I am migrating the files in the vault.

Migration process is .ipt->iam->ipn->idw

In our system different machine assemblies are arranged in separate folders under one project file.

Problem is : I cant migrate assembly and idw files in one folder out of about 20 with task scheduler. 

In that folder, ipt files migrate ok. However iam and idw files dont seem to migrate through the task scheduler.

When I migrate assembly files in that folder through the task scheduler,they seem to migrate and check back into the vault in the task scheduler log.

If I go to checkout those assembly files from the vault, The status of the local file appears as "Local copy is newer than the one in vault". If I delete the local copy and checkout from the vault. I have to migrate it again.
It seems that the task scheduler checked out the assembly file from the vault---> migrated it--- but checked the older version back into the vault.

I have to manually checkout - migrate- and check back in each of the files.

What is strange that it is happening only in one of the 20 folders in that project file,

Can anybodey tell me the reason and how to fix it.

Regards

Lalit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: Lalitkmr123

I don't know the reason, but the best solution is... don't migrate them.  Next time you need to modify those parts or drawings, they will migrate as soon as you save them.  I've never migrated all of my files when upgrading Vault... I do it on demand.  It takes the control away from task scheduler and puts it in my hands.

Message 3 of 5
Lalitkmr123
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the migrating on demand: I did that with last upgrade. but some where I read that if we dont migrate the file for long enough they might become unmigratable (meaning we might need an intermediate version of inventor to do so). I dont know how true this statement is but  i decided to migrate files this time.  one drawback of the migration is that your vault size gets bloated unless you want to purge the versions.

Message 4 of 5
cbenner

I think you're right about the migration over a long period of time... I know I've heard that before, but I can't remember how many versions it will go before you run into troubles.  I know we have some files dating back to Inventor 2009 or older.  So far I've been lucky with migrating those as needed... cross my fingers that I don't find out the hard way how far you can go!

Message 5 of 5
swalton

I am working through a similar issue.  I ran several "migrate from Vault" task scheduler jobs to migrate my old (IV 11 era) files to IV 2012 in prep to moving to IV 2014.  There are about 1800 files scattered across several directories that are this old in our Vault.  We normally do the as-needed migration, so most of the ipt and iams have been migrated over the years, but we haven't had to touch the ipns and idws. 

This thread: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Migrated-ver2008-part-crashes-IV2014-Pro/td-p/4728331

is what pushed me to try to catch up the really old stuff in our Vault.  I plan to migrate as required to keep old flies no more than 3 IV versions behind our production version.

The task scheduler log reports that the files are checked out, migrated successfully and then it lists one task that affecta 0 out of 0 files and ends.  If I look at the files in IV, they are migrated, but listed as "edited-out-of-turn" in the Vault browser.

It behaves as if Task Scheduler is doing an Undo-Check-out instead of a Check-in after the files are migrated. 

I am working with my reseller to try to resolve this issue.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report