Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we not set the revision scheme on item creation?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mthomas
416 Views, 2 Replies

Can we not set the revision scheme on item creation?

Here's the situation....

• We use two revision schemes: our default which is numeric based and starts at 0 and our "proposal" scheme which is alpha based and starts at A
  • 90% of our items use the default numeric 0-starting scheme but we use the proposal scheme for proposal / conceptual things and we want to lifecycle and track revisions but want the different scheme to clearly identify it with the letters to avoid any confusion.

When I create a new item it automatically uses the default scheme setting the revision scheme and the initial revision value to 0.

• After the item is created I adjust the item to use the Proposal scheme and it goes from 0 to A.
  • I release the item at rev A.
  • Later I WIP the item which bumps the revision to B, and with further modifications to C, etc, etc.
  • Now we've sold the thing and want to switch back to the default numeric scheme. It goes to 1... we don't want 1, we want to release this as 0 as technically it never was at 0.

So as the majority of our items are good with 0 and numberic based revisions, its only in the case of our proposal items that we want to switch to letters but come back to numbers. I can't set the revision scheme on creation, as far as I can tell. I don't really want to use default and start at "-" as the majority of my items need to start at 0. So in these instances what are my options?

Mike

Mike Thomas

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
r.smith1
in reply to: mthomas

Hi MIke,

In this situation, is it possible for you to configure different lifecycle definition, and category for the files.

Cat = Sales

Lifecycle = Sales WIP, Sales Review, Sales Release to Eng

Cat = Engineering

Lifecycle = Wip, release, review etc

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 3
mthomas
in reply to: r.smith1

Ron,

I still need items as this is what we are using to export data for our ERP system. As you know we're also in the process of limiting who can view our files and force non-engineering to view items . If I applied different Categories / Lifecycles to the files will this transfer to the items and set the appropriate revision scheme when the items are generated

Mike

Mike Thomas

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report