Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Cancel a Vault Backup?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gmatz
4289 Views, 11 Replies

Can I Cancel a Vault Backup?

I normally do vault backups over the weekends. I have not payed any attention to the length of the backups. Because of an odd behavior while attempting to vault an imported part from a customer I decided to do a backup over night. It is not finished and none of the 5 designers here are able to login to the vault

IS THERE A WAY TO STOP THE BACKUP?

CAN I REBOOT THE SERVER TO STOP THE BACKUP?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
olearya
in reply to: gmatz

Hi there,

Can you go back through your backup logs to look at how long teh backup has remaining?  (Based on usual length).

Certainly there are a few things we can do to force a backup to stop but these are not really preferable if your team are able to work locally until the backup completes.

I am assuming you are using Vault Basic?

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 12
gmatz
in reply to: olearya

Allan,

We were able to work locally and held out untill the backup finished at approximately 19 hours.

Thank you,

Greg

Message 4 of 12
olearya

Hi Greg,

19 hours is a long time, what version and release of Vault are you using?  What is the size of the database and filestore?  Are you validating filestore as part of the backup?

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 12
gmatz
in reply to: olearya

The filestore is 97.88 Gb and the database is 5.48 Gb.  Verify is not selected but the backup location is a 2 Tb NAS device.

Thanks

Greg

Message 6 of 12
gmatz

I recieved the following information from the Autodesk Support Team.

The backup can be stopped by:

Opening Windows Task Manager.
Killing the Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe process.

I did not end up doing this but I was assured there was no risk to the filestore or database because the backup is not writing to either.

Thanks

Greg

Message 7 of 12
gmatz

We are using Vault 2010 Build 14.0.63.0

Message 8 of 12
xavier_dumont2

Be careful, when you start the backup the database is locked. If you kill the process, the flag are always set to "locked".
Message 9 of 12
gmatz
in reply to: xavier_dumont2

One of my concerns was if the vault would return to its normal state.  I didn't recieve a direct answer to that question from the support team.  That's the main reason why I was hesitant to kill the process.

Someday I may create a test vault and try it.

Message 10 of 12
hans.martin.haga

When cancelling a backup, the "Backup is in progress" status flag will be cleared after a while. My experience is typically one hour. If you try to start the ADMS console before the status flag is reset, it will quit with "A backup operation is currently in progress".

Message 11 of 12
olearya

Hi Greg,

Vault basic does not give us too much leeway in terms of looking at other backup solutions (partial backups and hot backups are only available in the higher level products)

One thing that may help out in the future is reducing filestore size with 2013 release.  I assume you are you running a full version of SQL - are you running a regular SQL maintenance plan on the database? 

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 12
Crstiano
in reply to: hans.martin.haga

How reset the status flag?
Cristiano Oliveira
Developer Addins | Consultant CAD/PLM | CAD Manager
https://www.ConsultCAD.com/

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report