Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for renaming and moving objects

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
westcoast_Jeff
278 Views, 1 Reply

Best Practice for renaming and moving objects

Hello,

Our group of designers are having lots of difficulties when one of use moves a file in vault.  It is difficult to keep track of what is the legitimate vault version.  When files are moved in vault, It does not appear to move on everyone's local workspace.  What is the best practice in a workgroup setting when some files in a large assembly need to be moved in vault when multiple folders are used?

Similarly, what is the best practice when some files need to be renamed?

Best,

Jeff

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Lancasterm
in reply to: westcoast_Jeff

If a file, a group of files and/or folders are moved in vault, it does not update any local workspace.

My first question (as a Vault Administrator) is..  When files are moved in your vault, it is being communicated to the group?  Secondly, how often are files being moved?   If you are constantly moving them around then I would sit down as a group and determine where (common) files should be placed in the vault folders and stick to it.

I would also recommend that each user's gets in a routine of cleaning out his/her local work folder space as long as their files are checked in.  Vault is your master location and keeping local copies should only exist when you are working on a given project.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report