Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Configuration for Web Clients?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jverduin
709 Views, 8 Replies

Best Configuration for Web Clients?

In our evaluation of Web Clients, I have found that it appears a little slow. Is there possibly a file/directory structure that works best to make it more responsive? Is there a configuration that works better if specific files are specified in the search criteria? Is there something we can do to our network to assist in its speed? We have a proprietary program that is exactly like the Web client App. except 100 times faster and we would consider replacing it with the Web Client if it could be more responsive. I like our software but I also like "out of the box" software that does the same thing. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
yuhui.zhang
in reply to: jverduin

Thank you for the posting.

• Which release you used? 2012, 2011 or else?
  • Which operation you feel slow? searching or navigating on main view or details views?
  • Did you work in the intranet network to evaluate Vault Web Client access? Can you give an example of the result,  such as how many seconds spent for search 100 files..

Here are some suggestions:

1. Please use supportable browsers to access, see readme of  2011, 2012. webclient does not support IE9 yet.
  2. For performance reason, web client search result returns limited in 500, please refine your search criteria to return extract result
  3. or, install hotfix to allow folder level search in web client if you are use 2011 (link) or 2012 (link). 

Hope it Helps.

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Message 3 of 9
scottmoyse
in reply to: yuhui.zhang

Sorry to crash this thread, but I have a few questions:

Is there a way of modifying the frame widths on the page so you can read the full folder name as you browse through them on the left hand side?

I can't believe 2012 only supports Chrome 7, I have chrome 12 on all of my machines and have done for a long time now. The only browser I have installed that works with no apparent issues is IE9, but i haven't really been using the webclient that much, so who knows.

I also agree it feels slow and clunky, with very limited customisation, I'm very interested to see what jverduin's proprietary webclient looks like.

We had our own proprietary data management software prior to implementing Vault over the last few months, it worked great and i liked it, but i too like out of the box software so the company isn't dependant on having in house coders to keep the wheels turning!

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 9
jverduin

We are currently evaluating Autodesk Vault Pro 2011. I was doing the evaluation with IE9 which explains why it was slow. Tested it this morning with Google chrome V12, logged in as Administrator and it appears to be considerably faster. Does google chrome support the active X that allows the DWF Viewer to be run through the UI? Some of our folders in the vault have thousands of files which could also be subcategorized as well yet one of our biggest folders seems to be pretty responsive for searches as well. So I will play with the explorer option a little more to see what works best. Thank you for the input and I'll keep you posted.

Message 5 of 9
jverduin

What drives the Released by revision part of the Web Client? Cant seem to determine if it's an iProperty or something else.

Message 6 of 9
scottmoyse

The lifecycle state has a 'This is a released state' tick box.

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 7 of 9
scottmoyse

Chrome V12 won't allow you to view the DWF's within the browser, it forces you to open them exterally in the DWF viewer, hence why i started to use IE9. 

Autodesk: Will IE9 be supported from Vault update 1 onwards?

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
jverduin
in reply to: scottmoyse

Go to the link below to configure your Google Chrome. I never advise anyone to go into the registry unless you KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING! follow the steps on this link to get google chrome to work. Some of the version 1.1 stuff is like navigating the open ocean without GPS but it's there. The only thing I didn't care for is that Chrome opens two tabs to view the file. It apears that there is an "Under the hood" configuration that is grayed out for opening files without downloading them but I didn't take the time to figure it out yet. I hope this helps and thanks to the response on show only released revisions.

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2010/07/open-dwfdwfx-files-in-google-chrome.html

Message 9 of 9
scottmoyse

cool, cheers will read that later. btw IE9 opens a new tab to view the file as well instead of viewing it in place. It may even open two tabs i can't remember though without checking

I think the Vault Web client and project nitrous need to be merged somewhat.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report