Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Vault takes to long

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
PolemEngineering
2302 Views, 12 Replies

Backup Vault takes to long

Hi,

We have a dedicate server running Windows Server 2008, 6x 10k sas drives in RAID10 and 4 GB RAM. We have Vault 2010 (basic version) running in a SQL-service. We run a backup script daily (read and write on the same set of disks). For unknown reasons it takes up to 2,5-3 hours to complete the backup. I think this is way to long.

Set LocVaultManager="C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ADMS 2010\ADMS Console\Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe"
Set BackupFolder=D:\Vault_DB\Vault_Backup\
Set VaultOpt=-VUAdministrator -VP -DBSC -L"%BackupFolder%BackupLog.txt" -S
;Set VaultName=Vault

NET STOP "Autodesk Data Management Job Dispatch"
NET START "Autodesk Data Management Job Dispatch"

Rem ["Rem" verwijderen bij Full SQL]
Rem NET STOP SQLAgent$AUTODESKVAULT

NET STOP MSSQL$AUTODESKVAULT
NET START MSSQL$AUTODESKVAULT

Rem ["Rem" verwijderen bij Full SQL]
Rem NET START SQLAgent$AUTODESKVAULT

REM remove old Backup directory and make new one
RD /S /Q "%BackupFolder%Backup"
MD "%BackupFolder%Backup"

REM Backup files to Backup
%LocVaultManager% -Obackup -B"%BackupFolder%Backup" %VaultOpt%

6-10-2010 21:16:16 ==================================================================
6-10-2010 21:16:16 Logging initiated: Core server version 14.2.71.0
6-10-2010 21:16:16 ==================================================================
6-10-2010 21:16:16  
6-10-2010 21:16:16 -Obackup -B"D:\Vault_DB\Vault_Backup\Backup" -VU[username] -VP[password] -DBSC -L"D:\Vault_DB\Vault_Backup\BackupLog.txt" -S 
6-10-2010 21:16:21 ==================================================================
6-10-2010 21:16:21 BACKUP PROGRESS: The server console is currently in the process of backing up a database set. Please wait...
6-10-2010 21:16:21 ==================================================================
6-10-2010 21:21:10 Backing Up Databases... 0/7
6-10-2010 21:21:21 Backing Up Databases... 1/7
6-10-2010 21:21:23 Backing Up Databases... 2/7
6-10-2010 21:26:08 Backing Up Databases... 3/7
6-10-2010 23:58:26 Backing Up Databases... 4/7
6-10-2010 23:58:27 Backing Up Databases... 5/7
6-10-2010 23:58:28 Backing Up Databases... 6/7
6-10-2010 23:58:30 Backing Up Databases... 7/7
6-10-2010 23:59:53 The backup operation has been successfully finished.

With the -DBSC option we have to backup 5 databases. The filestore Vault.mdf is the biggest (~2 GB). Our custom Content Centers are app. (don't laugh...) 70 MB.

When I take a look in the BackupLog I can see the progresslist.

0/7 Vacuum clean actions

1/7 / 7/7 ?

All steps takes a few seconds till a few minutes. Action 3/7 takes app. 2,5 hour. I think this is the Vault.mdf. How is it possible that a 2 GB database takes 2,5 hour to backup.

Is this a known phenomenon. Is it normal. If not. In what direction should I look for. Are there diagnostic checks. Known setting which are regular set wrong. Or maybe I have a basic error in my backup script...

Thanks in advance,

René

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
minkd
in reply to: PolemEngineering

The backup is backing up both the databases and the filestores (which may be way larger than 2GB). How large is your filestore?  The total size is reported in the ADMS-Console.

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 13
PolemEngineering
in reply to: minkd

I have take a quick look in ADMS-console...

Vault:

- Database Size: 1.94 GB

- File Store Size: 23 GB

Custom Libraries:

- Database Size: 6.94 MB

- Database Size: 63.31 MB

Is this large...?

Message 4 of 13
ihayesjr

Give this a try:

1. Open the backup task in the Windows Task Scheduler.
  2. Right click on the task and "export" it.
  3. Edit the task.xml file that you just exported
  4. You will find a line similar to <Priority>7</Priority>
  5. Change the value to a normal priority (between 4-6).  Start at 6 first.
  6. Save the task.xml file.
  7. In the task scheduler, delete the task you initially created for the backup.
  8. In the task scheduler, in the actions area, import the task from the XML file.

See how long it takes to perform the backup.

These steps are changing the prority of the task from a Below Normal priority to a Normal priority.

Task priority

Priority Class

Priority Level

REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL

HIGH_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_HIGHEST

ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_ABOVE_NORMAL

ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_ABOVE_NORMAL

NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL

NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL

NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_NORMAL

BELOW_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_BELOW_NORMAL

BELOW_NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_BELOW_NORMAL

IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_LOWEST

IDLE_PRIORITY_CLASS

THREAD_PRIORITY_IDLE

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 5 of 13

Hi,

The filestore backup is very likely your bottleneck. One possiblity would be to backup to a different drive [or set of drives] than your filestore is on - this would likely improve I/O throughput which is likely the concern. Secondarily, you might consider purging file versions that you don't need from history - this would result in less files to copy in the first place.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Message 6 of 13

In about 1,5 week we will test both possible solutions.

- change task priority

- add single disk (backup to different drive)

- add purge (180 days, 5 versions) and perhaps also defrag routine (after backup)

I have also runned the Diagnostic Tool. This application returned with 1 warning and 1 error. Maybe this is also slowing down our Vault. The performance of the Vault is not optimal, while looking to the performancemonitor it looks like the server has nothing to do.

The warning has something to do with proxyserver and webserver. If I'm correct, Vault uses the functionallity of webservices. Our company routes all internet-traffic via port 8080 of on of our servers. What do I need to change here...

The error I also do not understand. Why do I need to backup and remove ADMS databases on '.\AUTODESKVAULT' database instance. And how do I recognize ADMS databases...

Please help,

René

Message 7 of 13

Hi Rene,

The error looks like a bug in the diagnostic check. My guess is that it is unaware of the service pack version you are on.

I would actually ignore both of these messages. The diagnostic tool is really a source of information for product support when the product isn't working at all - it doesn't provide any value for more subtle issues like performance, throughput, etc. If you vault is behaving right functionally, I would not make any changes.

Paul 

Message 8 of 13
ihayesjr

Can you expand the left column and see what version number of SQL is displayed?  It starts 9.0 but there should be 4 more digits following it.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13
ihayesjr
in reply to: ihayesjr

After looking at the image again, Paul is correct.  You can ignore the SQL error in the diag tool.  Because you have applied a service pack to the installation of Vault server, the diag tool doesn't recognize the service pack and shows the error.  It is safe to ignore.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 13
steveh3

FYI...

VP2011 with database replication

We have a 24+ Gb database with 700+ Gb filestore with the back up going to a USB drive (not ideal) and do not validate the backup. Timed it this week.

Takes right at 30 hours.

730+Gb total back up size.

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 11 of 13
PolemEngineering
in reply to: steveh3

Thanks for the info. FMI... is this huge, or just the filestore size of a big company.

You do not backup every day do you :d

With linear interpolation I should say our backup may take 1 - 1,5 hour.

Anyway, in the next vacation we will do some tests. I'll let you know the results.

René 

Message 12 of 13
steveh3

I don't think they consider us a large company, there's companies with 100's of seats....we have 28 seats of Inventor but have been running Vault for over 7 years and have dumped our legacy files into it too. That's why our Vault appears to be larger. I just wanted to give you something to compare to.

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 13 of 13
PolemEngineering
in reply to: steveh3

After upgrading to AIS2011 the backuptime isn't changed.

1 thing we have discovered is that the raid-controller doesn't work properly. Accestime and throughput values are disappointing. This weekend we will apply a fix for this.

With a test-environment (vmware image with server2008) on my local workstation, the backup takes not more then 45 minutes. So it may be faster.

I also find a (huge) amount of errors in the ADMS server log. Maybe this has something to do with this.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Vault/Problems-with-some-vault-operations-and-a-huge-amount-o...

René

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report