Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM structure property

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jparks_79
637 Views, 6 Replies

BOM structure property

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create some rules in our Vault Pro environement. These rules are for file category assignement. I have created a special Category for files that is reserved for "Reference" parts. Parts that are not part of the design, but are needed in the Assembly's for various reasons i do not think nescessary to discuss here.

My question is, in the document settings, you can choose a "Default BOM structure". Is it possible to create a UDP in vault to map to this inventor property, or does a property already exist that I can use? I want these parts to be automatically assigned to this "Reference art" category at checkin.

Thanks so much,

Jeremy

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
olearya
in reply to: jparks_79

HI Jeremy,

This is a tough one, as you say we can set the default BOM structure but as this technically is driven by the use in assemblies rather than a traditional file property we do not expose it as a file property.

My suggestion would be to create a template file set to "Reference" type and add a custom property called "reference only" - you can then use this for mapping.

Realise it is a bit of double handling but is probably best option for now.  Will look at this as a suggestion for future releases.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7
jparks_79
in reply to: olearya

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply. I guess we will be modifying our templates Smiley Happy

jeremy

Message 4 of 7
Carl_mgfx

Hi Jeremy

I'd like to revive this thread for a few questions....

We need to separate out weldments (Inseperable BOM Structure) in Vault so that they can be handled differently to the rest of the files (for ERP reasons).

How did you eventually handle your initial question of having a property in Vault that can be searched / filtered? 

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
Message 5 of 7
jparks_79
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

Hi Carl,

For handling the reference files, as Allan mentioned, you can create an iproperty on the ipt or iam specifically for category selection. It could be named anything. From there you can follow the standard vault procedure for Rule based category assignment. Are you familiar with how to create category's and rules for them?

Its funny you mention the ERP point, we also went through a couple ERP integrations with vault. I am curious, which ERP system are you using and are you using Vault items?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Message 6 of 7
Carl_mgfx

Hi Jeremy

The ERP is custom designed, at the moment we are not using Items, but we will be going that way soon.  We will also be setting up category rules and assignments and I think I have that one covered.  For now we just need to be able to find all weldments (in Vault) and give them a specific prefix.  We are setting up a new part numbering scheme and need to identify the weldments accordingly.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
Message 7 of 7
jparks_79
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

Carl,

For files already checked into vault, i don't think there is going to be an easy way to identify which files are inseparables or weldments. Unless you have some folder scheme or file naming which helps searching, your only option might be to look 1x1 at your weldment assemblies. You might also want to take a look into items a little ahead of time. If I remember correctly, Autodesk made a lot of enhancements to the Item interface which might help in this aspect. From the item, you might be able to find which files are weldments. Its worth a quick look in my opinion.

For any new files added to the vault, it should be easy enough to create category rules. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If there is anything further you might have questions on, don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report