Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Vault Workgroup Client locked up

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
BrianForeman7947
921 Views, 6 Replies

Autodesk Vault Workgroup Client locked up

I think I'm my own worst enemy with this one.  In order to clean out the working folder on my machine, I deleted all the working files, including the actual local working folder.  (At least I remembered to verify that all files were checked in.)  Being new to Vault, I wanted to see how Vault would respond to someone mistakenly deleting this folder from the machine.  Well, now I know, cause the Vault Client locks up everytime I try to use it.  I can log on, I can see the Vault and the folders within the Vault, but if I try to get or check out any file, Vault just freezes and will not respond.  I have to use Task Manager to end the application.

What do I need to do to fix this machine.  I tried a repair install, to no help.  (I do have "enforce working folder" set for all systems" and it works fine on all other machines, just not this one after I deleted the root directory folder that Vault initially created.

Can anyone suggest how to repair the Vault Client (this is 2012) or do I have to uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
olearya
in reply to: BrianForeman7947

HI Brian,

The workflow you describe here is not all that uncommon and should definitely not be the cause of difficulties you are seeing...  

What are you attempting to retrieve from Vault when you go through the "Get/Check Out" operation?

I would suggest going to the Vault explorer and selecting to retrieve the Inventor ipj only from the top folder (I assume you are using Inventor), make this active in your Inventor session and then open from Vault within Inventor.

Hope this helps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 7

You are misunderstanding what I am saying.  The Vault Explorer is locking up when I attempt to Get or Checkout files.  It has nothing to do with accessing files thru Inventor or AutoCAD.  (Actually, that still works as a matter of fact.)

Right now, I cannot use this machine to perform any file management functions using Vault Workgroup Client.  The application will open, it will see the Vault on the server, but any attempt to use any Vault Explorer commands locks the application up and nothing happens.  Any additional clicks within the window is greeted with a lovely Windows Bell sound, but no information on screen (other than the window).

I ran the "repair installation" on that machine with no success.  My next step is to uninstall/reinstall the Vault Client application, unless someone tells me there is another way to fix the problem (clearing the registry perhaps?).

Message 4 of 7

Brian,

A wild guess. It looks like Vault has thrown some Prompt and waiting for you to answer and it is hidden in the Background.

So can you use CTRL+TAB to see any other window/prompt related to Vault is seen at this stage?

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 5 of 7

You are correct.  The laptop was hooked up to a second monitor for a while and the window must have been shown off screen.  (I feel like a dope cause I should have checked that.)

Now all is well.  Thanks for the help.  Problem seems to be solved.

Message 6 of 7

Turns out the dialog box was located off screen.  I had the laptop set up in a dual monitor configuration and had switch back to just the laptop display.  After hooking up a second monitor, I found the dialog box on the second monitor screen.  Kind of hard to figure out what's happening when you can't see it. 

I have run into a similar problem with other programs in the past when working with dual monitor setups.  I should have remembered it.  It seems dialog boxes remember their last position, and if it is on another monitor, you don't see it.  This is also an issue sometimes if you switch from a wide format to a standard format monitor.

Does anyone know of a method of "pulling back" or relocating these unseen dialog boxes and windows without having to drag out a second monitor?

Message 7 of 7

This article has some suggestions if you see this in the future:

http://www.techspot.com/guides/226-bring-lost-window-back-desktop/

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report