Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning Categories to files

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
BrettCaldeira
727 Views, 8 Replies

Assigning Categories to files

In 2010 I was able to easily assign a certain Category to a file, by the files extension. For eample: If I added a *.doc file to vault, it would automatically assign that doucment to the office Category. The same would work for engeneering documents, *.iam; *.ipt; *.dwg would automaticallyt assign to an Engeneering document.

In 2011 there is a default Category, and it doesnt seem to matter what rules you apply for your other categories the default caegory always gets assigned to my doucments.

I cant seem to edit the default categories rules, and if I make another one of my categories default all files automatiically get assigned to that category.

Does this funtionality still work? Am I doing somehing wrong in my setup of the rules?

Regards,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
luttena
in reply to: BrettCaldeira

Hello,

Can you please verify that you have the 'Apply rules on file creation' option checked in the Assignment Rules dialog?

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Sr User Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9

Yes I have it turned on.

Message 4 of 9
luttena

Please remove the * from your rules. I tried the exact same thing and determined that the wildcard is what is throwing off your assignment rule.

Regards,

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9

Thanks Adam

It worked without the wild card. Didnt think of trying that.

Regards,

Brett Caldeira

Message 6 of 9
Blue94
in reply to: luttena

Hi Adam,

How do you apply rules to my criteria below?

I want to assign the CAT to Engineering if the Created by is ltran or jsmith or mjane. If I added line by line like below, it does not work but I keep just the first line, then it works fine. Can you help, please?

Created by is ltran

Created by is jsmith

And so on

Thanks

Message 7 of 9
luttena
in reply to: Blue94

Hello,

The rule condition builder doesn't support 'or' formulas. What I suggest doing is creating multiple file rules instead of 1 rule. For example, 

Rule 1: ltran - Engineering 

Created by + contains + ltran

Rule 2: jsmith - Engineering

Created by + contains + jsmith

The order of the rules in the list should not matter in this case because the value can only be one or the other. 

Let me know if this works for you,

Adam

Adam Luttenbacher
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 9
Blue94

It works!

Thanks for your help, Adam.

Message 9 of 9

I have a similar situation where I would like to assign a category (AWI Markup) to a file using multiple rules.  I used:

1.  File Name - contains - markup

2.  File Name - contains - awi

I have another category (Assembly Work Instruction) that uses the following rule:

1.  File Name - contains - markup

How can I differentiate the rules so these files are categorized separately?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report