Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding and assebmly part to a library

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
243 Views, 4 Replies

Adding and assebmly part to a library

I'm trying to add a part to a library in Vault 4.. This part is an assembly. The way I have been adding new library parts to vault is by dragging from windows explorer and dropping into vault since they are new files and not used in any assemblies.. If I do that with an assembly part it loses its relationship between the parts.. I don't want to add the part through inventor because the project file is mapped to a different folder than where I want this library part added.. Has anyone else tried to add an assembly part to a library folder in vault?? Can anyone help??
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you are sure the parts have no references (iParts and Derived Parts
do...) then you can do it this way.

keep in mind however you will not get the DWF file published

Standard Disclaimer: Your best bet is to always use the Inventor addin...
--
Thanks,

Brian Roepke
Product Manager, MSD
Data Management
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Thanks, but its a .iam (assembly file) so its has relations to other parts.. So I am trying to add all those parts to a library folder (which is different from my project folder) and when I do it say it's going to lose its relationships... I don't want to use the inventor add in because that will set up a new folder in my project file folder in the vault. I don't want to do that, I want to put it in an existing library folder in vault. Any suggestions?? Should all library parts be just a single part (ipt) instead of an assembly file (.iam)??
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

I don't see an issue with having an assembly in a library it has worked with Inventor in the past.

You should be able to set up a "Library Maintenance" project that is mapped to you library drives this way you can make any needed changes to library parts. With Vault this is how I add parts to our library from Inventor.

As a disclaimer: Vault is a whole other animal regarding libraries, and in my opinion handles libraries poorly at the moment. It seems to be hit or miss on what parts work will with libraries and Vault. You may wish to set them up according to Brian Shanen's whitepaper on libraries.

Many Vault whitepapers including his can be found at.

http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2695

Pete
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

thanks a bunch. Never thought about setting up a library project path.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report