Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADMS Console 2008 Run Error

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ChrisJM
412 Views, 6 Replies

ADMS Console 2008 Run Error

Installed Vault, ADMS, and Inventor 2008 about a year ago. Have had practically no issues with the Vault/ADMS side of the installation until yesterday morning. I, and a fellow coworker, have spent considerable time researching this problem and thus far have been unable to correct this problem.

-Came in yesterday morning Vault was not working. Asked IT to bounce the server.

-IT checked server didnt see anything wrong, so they rebooted it. Ever since then we have been unsuccessful in getting the ADMS console to run.

I have loged into the server containing ADMS as a user and admin (usually I logon as a user account and then run as an admin).

It then gives me a msg I had never seen before.

"Impersonation User Login... ASP.NET impersonation... Logon Failure: unknown user name or bad password"

I have tried every user installed on the machine, verified their credentials and it still gives me this error upon attempting to run ADMS.

If I put my credentials in again, at this prompt, and hit retry it then asks for the SQL System Administrator Login. This login is familiar, but no matter what I put in here it does not accept it. I've verified all the sql services are running (except for the server active directory helper which will not start), I have tried the information on:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=7333531&linkID=9261340

related to "\AutodeskVault " with no success.

I am not up on todays IT things (I use to work on computers and networks around when Win95 came out), but I need to get this back up ASAP and my IT person is only available over the phone today (he's already given it a good shot at fixing it yesterday).

Can someone please suggest a fix? It is perplexing since everything has been fine for so long. As far as we know there have been no changes to the server. I realize this has to be incorrect as something changed. I did change my personal password (I realized I hadn't in a long time) around the same time, but I don't think ADMS was using my credentials for anything.

please help.

Chris
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ChrisJM

By default, ADMS runs under a limited Windows user named 'AutodeskVault'.
This is was the docs call the 'impersonating user'.

It is possible to change the impersonating user / password from within ADMS
console. Is it possible that at some point you configured the system to use
your personal credentials at some point? Assuming the impersonating user is
still the default, one possibility is that the password of the AutodeskVault
user has expired or somehow the user has been disabled. I'd suggest going
into the windows user management console and checking these properties of
the user are correct [Control panel -> User accounts -> Advanced ] .

Paul Gunn
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Paul.

I have something related to this i think.

I have just tried to reinstall vault 2008 and found that halfway through the install I get a "Failed to Connect to AutodeskVault" sql instance.

I have checked the instance and everything looks good. I restarted and no problem.

I can't seem to get this running again.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

vista 64 bit, 8Gb RAM, inventor 2008
Message 4 of 7
ChrisJM

I must have used my personal login for something related to ADMS. I reset my pw to what it was previously and everything worked again. Thank you for the reply.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

The most likely cause would be if you originally installed with a custom sql
'sa' account or password. You would need to provide the same credentials in
the reinstall. This is done by pushing the 'configure' button during
installation - on the second (I think) screen, there are options for
customizing both the impersonating user and the sa user - in this case you
would be interested in the sa user.

Hope this helps,

Paul

wrote in message news:5925032@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi Paul.

I have something related to this i think.

I have just tried to reinstall vault 2008 and found that halfway through the
install I get a "Failed to Connect to AutodeskVault" sql instance.

I have checked the instance and everything looks good. I restarted and no
problem.

I can't seem to get this running again.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

vista 64 bit, 8Gb RAM, inventor 2008
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Glad to hear things are working again.

If at some point you want to set up a limited user account and change the
ADMS to run under that instead of your normal account, you can do this via
ADMS console. Tools -> Administration -> Advanced settings.

Paul

wrote in message news:5925037@discussion.autodesk.com...
I must have used my personal login for something related to ADMS. I reset my
pw to what it was previously and everything worked again. Thank you for the
reply.
Message 7 of 7
dmacglashan

The company I work for was recently taken over by another and they integrated our computer network into theirs. I doing this they changed the computer name and user names. This caused my content centre stopped working and I had the same problem with the ADMS manager. The ADMS manager was set up on my machine in a standalone configuration. I the end I had to remove the Autodesk Data Management Server 2008, Autodesk Vault 2008, Microsoft SQL server 2005, Microsoft SQL Native Client, Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (English) and the Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer. Then move the Filestore folder and its files from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\VaultServer to another location. Inventor setup then allowed me to reinstall the content centre which in turn reinstalled the SQL programs. This was a fairly long process but the ADMS and content centre are working again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report