Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Inventor Vault - Please fix these issues

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
karthur1
2990 Views, 21 Replies

2011 Inventor Vault - Please fix these issues

I have been using Vault 2011-update1 and have been tolerating several issues.  These are annoying problems that slows my workflow.

1. In the inventor vault browser, if I right-click on a checked out file and choose "Check-out"  (to check out all the others below it), nothing happens.  In 2010, it would check out the files like I am trying to do.

2. From Inventor, when I check-out an assembly, then do a save, several of the files will be listed as "Yes, Write Enabled not checked out from Vault").  If I save the file, then that file will be edited out of turn. So I have to cancel the command, undo check-out for the entire assembly, then check out the assembly again.  This time ALL of the files are checked out, not only a portion of them and I can save the file correctly.

If a file is not checked out from Vault, WHY are we even allowed to save it?  If the file is not checked out from vault, in the save dialog, it should be defaulted to "NO", not yes.

3. Doing a copy design, I get a 1091 error "The file does not exist in the specified folder and cannot be checkout from it".  Instead of going back to the previous dialog where I made my edits, Vault Explore just cancels the command and I loose all the work that I just done.  It could at least tell me which file was the problem and it would be best to not just cancel the command.

4.  The dialog for the "Get /Checkout" does not remember the width of the column.  Each time that I do this command, I have to stretch the column wider.  Please fix this.

Sorry for the rant, but there are just too many things with Vault 2011 that are broken and needs to be fixed with a SP. 

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
karthur1
in reply to: karthur1

5.  In Copy Design.... When I change a part to copy, there is a "(2)" appended to the filename automatically.  Is there a setting to NOT have it put this there?  I will be renaming  the file anyway and it is annoying to have to take this off every time.  If I want the (2) there, I can add it via the Naming Scheme control at the bottom. 

Message 3 of 22
gradcliffe

@karthur1 wrote:

4.  The dialog for the "Get /Checkout" does not remember the width of the column.  Each time that I do this command, I have to stretch the column wider.  Please fix this.

I know that some people at Autodesk have acknowledged this one, and there have been promises to fix it.  Don't expect it in a service pack, though.  I'm hoping the fix makes it into Vault 2014.

-George

Message 4 of 22
varindersra
in reply to: gradcliffe

Hi,

I recently installed Vault 2011 and to fix some of the issues I have Autodesk is recomending me to Install Vault 2011 Update 1. Is all the issues you mentioned above are fixed or not.

Thanks in advance!

Message 5 of 22
karthur1
in reply to: varindersra

I am using Vault 2011-update1.  These issues were there before and after update 1.  It did not change anything for me.

Message 6 of 22
Senthil_Kumar

Hi,

Thank you for reporting the issues.

Regarding Issue 1 and Issue 4, we are able to reproduce the issues.

Regarding Issue 2, if the file is edited out of turn by

1. File being migrated during open
2. File content / Reference is changed

etc...

then the file will be saved without being checked out. 

This issue is due to Checking out only 1st Level Children during Initial check out of the Assembly. If we check out all the modified files during the Checking out the assembly we will not see the above save issue.

All the 3 issues been escalated to the Development team and they are working on those issues.

Regarding Issues 3 and 5 I will check the issues and update you.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 7 of 22
cmcconnell

I have seen all of these issues (and some others) with Vault Pro 2011 (with or without update 1). Especially with issues #1 and #2 together. For the first time since I started using Vault (R1) it is getting the way of me doing my work.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 8 of 22
karthur1
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Senthil-Autodesk wrote:

All the 3 issues been escalated to the Development team and they are working on those issues.

Regarding Issues 3 and 5 I will check the issues and update you.

Senthil,

Any update on these issues?

Thanks

Message 9 of 22
yuhui.zhang

For issue #3, does this error 1091 frequently occur during your Copy Design operation? You may try to open the assembly in Inventor to check its relationship correct or not.

For issue #5, since the target folder "Copy Design To" is same as source folder "Copy Design From" by default, so Vault will add suffix (2) automatically to avoid the file added to the same folder in duplicated name. Once you make the target folder to other location, the suffix (2) will disappear accordingly. There is no option to change this behavior.

Regards,

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Message 10 of 22
karthur1
in reply to: yuhui.zhang

@yuhui.zhang wrote:

For issue #3, does this error 1091 frequently occur during your Copy Design operation? You may try to open the assembly in Inventor to check its relationship correct or not.

For issue #5, since the target folder "Copy Design To" is same as source folder "Copy Design From" by default, so Vault will add suffix (2) automatically to avoid the file added to the same folder in duplicated name. Once you make the target folder to other location, the suffix (2) will disappear accordingly. There is no option to change this behavior.

Regards,

Fay,

I have seen the 1091 error several times.  It is very annoying because it ends the Copy Design and I loose my work.

For issue #5, I don't see this behavior that you describe.  I still have the (2) suffix when I change the "Copy To" folder to a different folder. If I do make a mistake and name a copied part the same name as an existing file already in vault, it shows the filename in red.  If I do not correct the duplicate filename and go ahead and try to copy the design, Vault will give an error since I have "Enforce Unique  Filen Names" enabled in vault.  No matter how hard I try, I can't duplicate any file name in vault.

I understand the reasoning behind the automatic suffix. But I don't want vault making those kinds of decisions for me.  I would rather prefer that if the filename is duplicated, it should just show it in red.  If I continue with the duplicate filename, maybe another dialog could come up that shows me a list of which filenames are duplicated.  It would then give me the option to return back to the previous dialog to correct the filenames or continue with the copy.  Of course if I am enforcing unique filenames in vault and continue with the duplicates, it would not allow duplicates to placed in vault.

Message 11 of 22
cmcconnell

I agree 100% with Karthur - his suggested workflow makes sense, and it would save a great deal of time.

Message 12 of 22
Senthil_Kumar

Hi Arthur,

Regarding the Inventor issues as I mentioned earlier Development team is looking into them. As of now I am sorry that I do not have any update.

Thanks for Checking!

Regards

Senthil

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 13 of 22
yuhui.zhang

Fay,

I have seen the 1091 error several times.  It is very annoying because it ends the Copy Design and I loose my work.

For issue #5, I don't see this behavior that you describe.  I still have the (2) suffix when I change the "Copy To" folder to a different folder. If I do make a mistake and name a copied part the same name as an existing file already in vault, it shows the filename in red.  If I do not correct the duplicate filename and go ahead and try to copy the design, Vault will give an error since I have "Enforce Unique  Filen Names" enabled in vault.  No matter how hard I try, I can't duplicate any file name in vault.

I understand the reasoning behind the automatic suffix. But I don't want vault making those kinds of decisions for me.  I would rather prefer that if the filename is duplicated, it should just show it in red.  If I continue with the duplicate filename, maybe another dialog could come up that shows me a list of which filenames are duplicated.  It would then give me the option to return back to the previous dialog to correct the filenames or continue with the copy.  Of course if I am enforcing unique filenames in vault and continue with the duplicates, it would not allow duplicates to placed in vault.

I understand your feeling of unexpected error aborting the job. It's recommended to raise a support request if you got error 1091 next time, thus support people could work with you closely to figure out the reason for the specific data.

For behavior of auto-suffix (2), when 'enforcing unique file names' option unchecked, Vault indeed remove (2) removal once change 'Copy To' folder. Regarding the workflow you suggest,  I will pass it to related team to consider it in future release. Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Regards,

Fay Zhang
Software QA Engineer
Data Management
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!

Message 14 of 22
gerhick
in reply to: yuhui.zhang

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, But I don't seem to be able to do a 'Get' on a top level drawing, then unselect some (not all) child parts/assemblies from the list for download. It seems that I can get ALL children, or NO children.

Have I missed something?

PointZero Design and Drafting
Message 15 of 22
PACDrafting

I am getting Error 1091.

This is now becoming a regular issue.

Also, I'm coming across another issue with Copy Design.

When I copy design an assembly it is linking some assemblies, parts and drawings which are not linked to my copy design assembly. I have checked the where used column in vault client to check if there is a link and there isnt.

There is also a non logical issue happening. Once in the copy design dialog if I select "design view" icon, the assembly and part files (the linked assemblies and parts I dont want) dont appear but the drawings (the linked drawings I dont want) do. If I select the "Folder view" or "List view" they are all there.

My Inventor model setup is as follows:

I have a 3 seperate part files with a large number of solid bodies.

These part files are then inserted into an assembly. (At this stage I havent used the make components ability to build individual parts and assemblies).

I have a number of ilogic rules also including a windows dialog to resize the models as required.

Once resizing is complete, then the make components is activated.

I have then completed a full set of drawings for all assemblies.

Now I design copy the top level assemblies (not the original ilogic assembly).

Then I design copy the ilogic assembly and replace the solid body parts as required with the previous location design copy.

The issues of linked files didnt occur until I activated a second case copy design.

I'm at ends on why this is happening???

Message 16 of 22
bschupbach

I have the same trouble with # 2.  It is incredibly frustrating.  It seems like everytime I make a change to an assembly, Inventor thinks it needs to save multiple children.  I'm not sure what is triggerning this.  I agree with the concept that it should have to be checked out if you want to save it.  The edited-out-of-turn is one of the most confusing things to users.  it would be better to prompt them on save and then if they don't check out they can't save.  At a minimum, there should be the option in the save dialogue box to go ahead and checkout the files that need to be checked out in order to execute the save.

Always checking out all children when you need to make a change to the partent is not a good solution.  In a highly collaborative environment, you don't want to check out tons of files everytimne you make a change to one assembly because it locks others users who may actually need to work on one of those children.

Message 17 of 22
imcjoek
in reply to: bschupbach

II have the same trouble with # 2.  It is incredibly frustrating.  It seems like everytime I make a change to an assembly, Inventor thinks it needs to save multiple children....

This does not appear to be fixed?  Will it be?  It's making vault impossible to use.

Message 18 of 22
karthur1

items 1 and 4 fixed in Vault 2012..... Items 2 and 5 still remain.  Have not seen the 1091 error yet in 2012.

Message 19 of 22
cmcconnell

Item 1 is almost fixed. We still do not get the dialog. We have to go to the dialog options to specify get children or not...

The Move and Rename tools are working much better once we get all the references for previous versions fixed up.

Message 20 of 22
karthur1
in reply to: cmcconnell

....dont get the dialog.... what dialog? is it suppressed under Vault > Options?

Whats the deal with refs for older versions?  Are you losing file relationships too?  I have noticed that on some files when I do a copy design, the idw for the part is not included.  If I cancel the copy design, checkout/checkin the probelm idw, then get back into the copy design, it will then be copied.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report