Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100% Database growth after migrating from 2010 to 2011

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
andrew.wilkinson
351 Views, 1 Reply

100% Database growth after migrating from 2010 to 2011

Hi,

We have purchased a new server and are currently testing upgrading our ADMS from 2010 to 2011. Currently our Vault database in 2010 is at 2.15GB. We did a restore and re-indexed on our new server with ADMS 2011 SP1 and after this completed the database was 3.86GB! I have turned off as may properties as possible and tried a couple of times but still we are at the limit of SQL 2008 express.

Has anyone else seen this?It is a while since we ran a reindex on our current server but only a matter of a couple of months and our Vault has not grown by that much.

I have heard that SP2 is worth trying but we want to be able to access Vault from Inventor 2010 for a while and from what I have read ADMS has to be on SP1 for this to work.

I have raised a call with Autodesk and hopefully we won't have to purchase full SQL but it isn't looking good.

Thanks

Andy

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi Andrew,

SQL will never automatically shrink the database - it will leave the db files the same size and just consume the available space as-needed. So it is quite possible that the database internally has a lot of room to grow -especially as some data stored during a migration is transient [deleted by the end of migration].

That said, it is possible shrink the database files - however keep in mind that they might need to regrow themselves as your data accumulates. Here's one article on how to do this, I think it can also be done via a sql maintenance plan:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189035.aspx

If you shrink the db, I do recommend rebuilding the database indexes - this can be done on each vault from ADMS console. Shrink database is known to fragment the indexes.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums