Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rule based category and lifecycle change

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jacoj
925 Views, 8 Replies

rule based category and lifecycle change

I want to be able to set my vault to change categories from internal documentation to external documentation ,

so as I reached revision G ( released for production) , can I set up a rule in vault then to change the Category from internal docs to external docs automaticly, and then use revison scheme numerical  from there on tinstead off alphabeticlly , and ad differant  lifecycle?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: jacoj

I believe this should be possible.  Create a Category rule using the Rev Number property, set to "is" whatever rev you want to be the trigger, "G" perhaps.  This SHOULD trigger a change from one category to the next when the rev hits that trigger.  Then in the new category assign the lifecycle that has the numerical revision scheme in it. 

I haven't tried this yet, but theoretically it should work.  If I have some time later this morning I will set up some test for it and report back.

EDIT:

So far have not been able to get the rule to trigger a category change.... this is going to take some trial and error.

Message 3 of 9
jacoj

Did try this,

maybe my rule was not correct.''

do I assign this rule to the current category or the new category?

Message 4 of 9
Redmond.D

I assume we are talking about files, right?

I belive that the only time category rules can get automatically triggered is when a file is created.  In all other cases, you need to explicitly set the category.

Even through the API, there is no good way to perform custom actions when moving to a new revision.

If I'm reading this right, you want to do something specific when you get to revision G.  It sounds like lifecycle states may be a better fit.  For example, you can create a lifecycle state called "Released to Production".  When users want to release something, they do a state change instead of a revision bump.

In terms of custom programming, there are ways to trigger custom actions when a state change is performed.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Redmond.D

Doug, I think you might be right, I've been messing with this for a while now.  What I don't understand though, is if it only triggers a category change (or set) on object creation,... why is there even a check box for that as an option on the Rules dialog box.  That "option" to check or no check that box, would lead you to believe these rules should work anytime the conditions of the rule are met.  I thought perhaps a "Sync Properties" would do it.

rules.JPG

Message 6 of 9
Redmond.D
in reply to: cbenner

Categories are a lot more than just properties.  A lot of behavior depends on the category.  So it's not something that can be switched around every time an object gets edited.

But you make a good point.  What is the purpose of rules?  If you don't check the "Apply rules on object creation" then what is the point of the rule?

As far as I can tell, rules are used for two things:

• Assigning new objects to a category
  • When running the "Change Category" command there is an option to set the category based on the rules.

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 9
cbenner
in reply to: Redmond.D

Thanks Doug.  I never really used rules before, but as I was playing with them to try to help the OP, I saw where I might be able to use them in the future.  This helps.

Message 8 of 9
jacoj

Hi Guys,

so this is what I want to achieve. we are a fairly big company and needs strict rules one behaviours and lifecycles.

1. Working in a category called Internal docs, bumping up the revision A-G as managed by the Lifecycle as it runs through our companies doc flow before it goes to the client.

as soon as it reaches rev G , I want vault to automaticlly change the category from Internal docs to External docs, taking on a new lifecycle, bumping it to rev 0 ( zero )( issue for construction ) . locking it to the users

so I want to be able to create this rule,

but doesn manage, Do i create a rule in the internal docs category, wher the file is currently in?

What I dont understand from the rule is this, you set up the rule to say " if Rev Nuber is G "

but you dont state " than this needs to happen to the file", and I think rhis is why the category doesnt change when it reaches rev G.

your thoughts?

Message 9 of 9
Redmond.D

Let me expain things with a picture.  Let's say you have three states Work in Progress, In Review and Released.  A document starts out in WIP.  Next it goes back and forth between WIP and In Review until it reaches revision F.  At that point the reviewer can transition it to the Released state.  There is a constraint on the In Review -> Released transition that prevents anyone from Releasing it before revision F.

States.png

Everything I have described so far can be done with just the Vault administrator settings.

If you want to change the category and lifecycle state after a document transitions to Released, you will need to use custom programming.  But it is possible. 

Doug Redmond
Software Engineer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report