Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Get"ing the second page

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
S-K_TechPubs
360 Views, 9 Replies

"Get"ing the second page

I don't know how the vaults are normally set up, but where I work we have a LOT of CAD drawings in the vault. When I preview the file it often shows 2 sheets; 1 is the model and one is the actual drawing (generally sheet 2).

Currently, I click on each file, click to go to sheet 2, then print that to PDF (or save it and do a batch convert of the dwg to pdf).

The problem is that I have over a hundred files to get at a time. So I did searches with wildcards and used Ctrl+Click to highlight multiple files, then used right-click > Get. It was a time saver and gave me lots of files with .dwg at the end.

Unfortunately, it turns out that every one with a sheet 1 and sheet 2 gave me sheet 1, which is missing a lot of info.

Is there a way to use Get to retrieve the second sheet on multiple files when not all of them necessarily have a second sheet?

Thanks,

Shane

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
olearya
in reply to: S-K_TechPubs

Hey SHane,

Can you let me know what version of Vault you are using (Vault Basic, WG, Col, Pro - 2011, 2012, 2013)?

There are a number of ways we could look to solve this, changing dwf publish options or using batch plot or job processor (which are not available in all versions)

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 10
S-K_TechPubs
in reply to: olearya

Hi, Allan,

Autodesk Vault Professional 2012 Build 16.0.56.200

It seems some of our older drawings are done in CAD and have both a model and a layout page.

I have over a hundred files at a shot to turn into PDFs (a different set of files each time) and if I highlight more than one at a time (Search with Wildcards, Ctrl+Click to select, right-click to 'Get') it gives me a bunch of .dwg files. I use Amethyst C2DWGPDF to batch-convert them to PDF.

The difficulty is that they contain both Model and Layout.  The Model is consistently the first sheet and that's what shows in the PDF, regarldess of the settings for the conversion.

My other option is to laboriously click each one, check the preview, click to Sheet 2, and then print to PDF.

If you've got ANY ideas, I'd be thrilled.

Shane

Message 4 of 10
olearya

Hi Shane,

I have a few:

1) Vault professional includes batch plot - once you have selected the files you wish to plot you simply hit the "plot" button and select what you want plotted to where - here you can remove all the model "sheets" and plot only the drawing sheets.  You can then select the pdf tool to create these.

Note that this list can be saved and reused later etc...

2) Vault Professional includes a tool we term "Job Processor" - which permits users to batch update properties, create dwf's or any number of other repetitive tasks.  Using the job processor you could actually recreate all your dwf documents with only the drawing sheet (remove model) but you would need help from the Vault administrator to set this up and configure plot options.

3) There is also a product created by coolOrange which uses job processor called "powerJobs" which can be purchased from their website and it automates the creation of pdf files without any user interaction...  It may be worth the cash to save what sounds like a lot of time.

Hope this helps.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 10
S-K_TechPubs

Allan,

Thanks for the info, I'd seen the batch thing and played with it a few times, only to end up with an XML file or some such.

I took another look, using the Help as best I could, and actually PDFed a couple of files (WOO HOO!!)

I've ended up with 3 issues:

1.   Every file ended up with what I can only call a 'header' on the left side. I call it a header because it contains the drawing name, date and time of print, and scale setting (Fit to Page, in this case)in BIG, BLACK letters.

I tried editing the printer properties (Adobe PDF) and even using our hardcopy printer and still get this 'header'.

In the Plot Manager, the preview shows a little something on the far left that looks like it would be this information, but when I simply click on the file (in the main screen, not plot manager), go to sheet 2 in the preview, and print from there, I don't get this header (PDF and hardcopy).

2.  Even though I set the Plot Manager settings to Black & White or Grayscale, I get color when I use the Plot Manager. When I use the main screen (not plot manager), click the file, go to sheet 2, and print, it's black and white.

3. The above relates to success only with dwf files. I prefer the dwg, but when I try to open them with the plot manager it says "This file was created with AutoCAD. The application cannot be found on your computer, or there are some issues with it." I can OPEN the file (Autodesk Design Review or DWG TrueView, depending on dwf or dwg, I think). Is there a place that I can say "Hey, plot manager, use the Autodesk tools already on the computer" or something?

So, on the plus side, I've successfully batch-plotted. On the minus side, I can't put what I created into our manuals.

Shane

Message 6 of 10
olearya

Hi Shane,

Have you read through the wikiHelp on batch plot behaviour here: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0001-Using_Va1/0030-Batch_Pl30

I suspect that the "header" you are seeing is the plot stamp which can be configured or turned off in the options area.  I am not sure what the issue is with the color settings - do any files plot black and white?  I am wondering if the setting is just not applied to all - you can also probably look at the device settings too.

Let me know if you are able to get any further.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 10
S-K_TechPubs

Hey, Allan,

Well, we're definitely getting somewhere. I had checked the Help files, but your comment about Plot Stamp gave me the info I need to get rid of it. So now I've successfully PDFed more than one file at a time and remove the stamp!

I'm still gettting color on everything except our actual plotter, which is B/W only anyway. Even if I highlight the hardware and select BW, I get color.

I'm starting to get the idea that plotting isn't the same as printing, even when doing PDF.

I'm going to see if my Acrobat 7 can convert PDF to greyscale, or just settle for getting our hard-copies out of the plotter and sending color on our electronic manuals.

Shane

Message 8 of 10
olearya

Hi Shane,

I will see if I can dig up any further detail here but in the mean time I would suggest looking into the automated options as well - if you can have the designers automatically generating pdf's on a job server without any extra effort I suspect your job may get a little easier! 

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 10
S-K_TechPubs

Thanks, Allan, and if I find something to fix that last bit of color, I'll post here in case others need it.

Shane

Message 10 of 10
olearya

Thanks Shane, 

Will see if I can reproduce and will follow up as well.

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report