Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

purge does not work as expected

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ckuester
993 Views, 10 Replies

purge does not work as expected

Hello ,

i am using Vault 2013 Professional SP1.

Purge is deleting every version of a part except the first and last. It does not matter what im choosing in the form ...keep last 5 versions or keep versions with comment "blabla".

The only protection from beeing deleted is a changed status. But not every version checked in can get a new status...to prevent the liquidation...

How can i control purging?

Thanks and greetings

Christian

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
minkd
in reply to: ckuester

The minimum age, keep count, and comment exclusion only works on non-revisioned files, and only if you check the box to purge versions not defined by revision and life cycle rules.

For revisioned files, purge is controlled by settings in the lifecycle definition. For any given lifecycle state, you can choose to keep all the versions, keep only the first & last, keep only the last, or keep none of the versions.

lc_purge_ctl.png

See the wiki for more details.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 11
ckuester
in reply to: minkd

Hello,

i have tried purging on a part which hasn´t had a status change.

Just checked in ...changed...checked in...changed. many times...

The state was at any time "work in Progress" 

I checked the box "versions not defined by a revision" , then i choosed keep the last 5 files of the part...

after purging Version 1 and the last Version remain in vault...

Does the lifecycle start with the first check in? Within the Options there is stated keep the first and the last file.

Is this correct? How can i save files from beeing deleted, if the check box does not work...?

Greetings

christian

Message 4 of 11
minkd

If you change the lifecycle state purge control settings, they only apply to versions created after the change.

The keep count, minimum age and excluded comment settings do not apply to revisioned files. Generally, that means they apply to base-vault, or files checked-in to a base-vault server which is then upgraded to a vault workgroup server.

Hope this helps,

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 11
ckuester

Hello Dave,

am i right when i say: Purge in Vault Professional ist controlled by lifecycle settings? If so, why can i access the purge button?

And when will purge be done? Is there a schedule? Is it done automatically or do i have to decide when purge willbe performed?

Thanks

Christian

Message 6 of 11
minkd

The life cycle settings control what can be purged for revisioned files.

Purge is not done automatically - it can be invoked three different ways:

1) For an entire vault, via ADMS-Console.

2) For all versions of selected files, via the main grid in Vault Explorer.

3) For selected versions of a file, via the history grid in Vault Explorer.

In all cases, restrictions prevent important versions from being purged.

The reason the legacy purge parameters are present in Vault Pro is because you may have migrated from Vault Basic so some of your files may not be revisioned.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 11
clastrilla

Hi Dave,

Just resurrecting this old thread. Thanks for the clarification regarding the KEEPVERS, MINAGE and EXCLCMT. I've got some questions which I hope you can shed light on:

1. When a file is in a Lifecycle State where the Control is set to NONE:

- See the attached FileN.png history. This file was initially checked in with no L/C state, then a Change Category was done to create ver 2, then a Change State to the state "None Controlled" was done to create ver 3.

- for the None Controlled state, purge control is set to None

- when a Purge is done on the ADMS using command line, the result is that FileN has versions 1, 2 and 8. I understand that 1 and 2 will be kept, as they arent covered by the L/C state yet, but why is 8 still there? As per the definition in the help file, setting control to none: "No version in this state will be retained after the purge hes been performed."

2. What is the difference between latest version and leading version? As per the help file:

- The latest version in a revision cannot be purged (the revision is never removed). To remove a file and all of its versions from a vault, use Delete.

- The leading version of a revision cannot be purged.

Many thanks in advance!

Message 8 of 11
minkd
in reply to: clastrilla

To see the reasons that a particular version cannot be purged, invoke the purge from the history grid for the specific version.

In your case, version 8 is the latest version in the A revision, so it cannot be purged. If you change revision to B (creating version 9), both 8 and 9 will not be purgeable:  8 because it is the latest version in the A revision, and 9 because it is the latest version in the B revision.

There is also a rule that the latest overall version cannot be purged, but that only comes into play if you are not using revisions.

I'm not sure what "leading version" means.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 11
clastrilla

Thanks for the quick reply Dave. I understand what you are saying, but then what is the difference of setting the control to Last, which the help file indicates as "All versions in this state are removed during a purge, except the last version in each series"?

I take it a series is a set of versions with the same Revision?

Message 10 of 11
minkd
in reply to: clastrilla

Not necessarily.

My understanding is that if all states have control set to Last, and you have:

Version 1, Rev A, WIP

Version 2, Rev A, WIP

Version 3, Rev A, Released

Version 4, Rev A, WIP

Version 5, Rev A, Released

Version 6, Rev B, WIP

Version 7, Rev B, WIP

Only versions 1 & 6 would be purged.  The series is broken by lifecycle or revision changes.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 11
tapani.kuikka

Resurrecting this old thread, i am a bit puzzled with this purge operation still.

We have in our Vault 2019 lifecycle a non-released state, "work in process", which has controlled versions set to "First and last".

We then daily will do a scheduled purge with command:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ADMS Workgroup 2019\ADMS Console\Connectivity.ADMSConsole.exe" -Opurge -NMyVault -KEEPVERS5 -MINAGE30 -EXCLCMT"" -VUadministrator -VPMyPassword -S

And with setting the -KEEPVERS5 i was hoping i could keep 5 versions of files in the state "work in process", but what happens is the purge will erase files according to the lifecycle states, so i will end up with only "first and last" versions.

So is there any way the keep more than 2 versions from "non-released" state, that has no revisions or state changes to other lifecycle-states?

If so, how can i accomplish that?

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report