Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatically update vault check in with rev history

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bengee5454
463 Views, 6 Replies

automatically update vault check in with rev history

hi,

I did post this on an Inventor forum but it was suggested that it may be better here......

I was thinking that it would be nice if the comments on the Vault check in was automatically updated with the revision history (for the current revision).

For example;

check out drawing.dwg

amend

update rev history - eg. Diameter dim added

check-in drawing.dwg

- at the bottom of the check-in splash screen the comments section is automatically populated with Diameter dim added

Is this possible? perhaps with a bit of ilogic? - its all to easy to just click through the screen and not add any comments!

on thinking further......perhaps adding a button on the Vault Check-In dialog to allow you to update with the rev history if desired would be better.

I guess sometimes you may not want to update with the rev history - if you check out to amend a typo for example.

any comments would be appreciated  Smiley Happy

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: bengee5454

I haven't tested this, but if you used an iproperty for your revision description (which you probably do), you could map that in Vault to the Comment property, with the mapping direction going from file to Vault.  Then when you check in the file it SHOULD populate Comment with the value of that iproperty from your Inventor file.

As for the ability to decide wether or not you want that..., I think that would be a good post for the Idea Station..., I don't think there is any way to pick and choose right now.  if a property is mapped... it's mapped.  However, consider this.  If you did a Quick Change revision to just correct a typo, you would not be updating your revision table in any way... so the Mapping should not cause any changes when you check the drawing back in.

Again, I have not tested any of this... maybe if I have some time later but right now I'm loaded down with drawings to get out.  Darn CAD work gets in the way of my fun!

Message 3 of 7
bengee5454
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks Chris for the ideas - I'll try and have a play with it later (I admit that I'm not too familiar with the whole mapping stuff).

The reason I thought an option might be nice to choose whether or not to add the info from the rev table is that i thought there may some repetition in the comments that isn't neccessary. If for instance a drawing is revised to change the length of a part. The rev history would say:

Rev        Description

B           Length changed & note added

When checked in the comments would update with: Length changed & note added

Then once checked in you realise that you've made a small typo (in the note), so you check out, correct, check in - wouldnt you want the comment to be: typo amended, and not Length & note added?

Guess what I'm trying to say is it would be nice to perhaps differentiate between rev change and version change....

Does this make sense?????

Message 4 of 7
cbenner

It makes sense, but if you do this with property mapping there is no way to have the choices, you'll always get whatever the value of the property is.

I assume you know that the comments can be manually entered from the Check In dialog box?  

Message 5 of 7
bengee5454
in reply to: cbenner

yes - i know that comments can be manually entered, I was just trying automate the process a bit.

I'll put this on Vault Ideastation.

might try familiarise myself with the whole mapping thing........

Message 6 of 7
Esky99!

It is possible to automate the comments input via revision change.
This is possible with vault professional.
Message 7 of 7
bengee5454
in reply to: Esky99!

....so not with Vault Basic......I knew we shoul've gone pro!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report