Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats a *.v file?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
CAD-One
12097 Views, 13 Replies

Whats a *.v file?

When I get (not checkout) files off a vault; why ithere a .v file thats dumped into my working folder. What is this? I dont see this in the vault though.

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
scottmoyse
in reply to: CAD-One

I think its new for 2012, its a hidden folder, so i suspect the developers didn't expect most people to see it. I would also like to know its exact purpose.

From memory its empty, but i'm guessing its some new way for Vault to keep track of which files are read-only or locked from Vaults point of view. Maybe the Vault Add-in needs it more than Vault explorer?

Autodesk?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 3 of 14
Madhan_T
in reply to: scottmoyse

Hi,

Please refer File Resolution Updates in 2012 video from the following link.

http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2011/06/flexibility-and-improvements-in-autodesk-vault...

The files can be renamed / moved quickly in Vault Explorer in 2012. This is because, the parents (assembly/drawings) are not repaired at the time of move or rename. But the parents will be repaired at the time of download.

During Get / Checkout (From VE / Inventor / AutoCAD), the file references will be fixed even before it is opened. When the file reference is changed, Vault will treat the parent file as edited out of turn. But this is not the desired status when the file is opened from Vault. So, changes (difference between original file and the changes due to updated reference) will be captured in a companion file which is called .V file that will be located under _V folder of the parents’ folder. The Vault status will be corrected based on the information from companion file.

For example,

If Assembly1.iam is downloaded to C:\Work\Designs, the location of .v file is C:\Work\Designs\_V\Assembly1.iam.v

For more information, please refer

http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2011/05/file-resolution.html

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Madhan

Madhanagopal Thiruvenkatachalam
Principal Engineer
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 14
scottmoyse
in reply to: Madhan_T

cheers madhan

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 5 of 14
CAD-One

Madhan,

Thanks for the link & the explanation.

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 6 of 14
Madhan_T

Welcome, and Cheers!!!

Regards,

Madhan

Madhanagopal Thiruvenkatachalam
Principal Engineer
Engineering Escalation Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 14
CAD-One

So, it appears that its safe to delete the this folder "_V" and all its contents.

any body doing this?

C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 8 of 14
minkd

If you delete those files you will likely end up with many files with a vault status of "edited out of turn". I would not recommend deleting them.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 14
scottmoyse

they should only be on your C drive though. If they are in Vault then they have been accidentally added, and removing them from there should be fine.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

So, when someone sends me a bunch of files per email, including his _v files, ik can safely throw those _v files away? Since I don't work with Vault. And when I send the revised drawings back, without those _v files, I can expect everything to work just fine? Just asking, because that's the situation I'm in right now.

Greetings.

Message 11 of 14
scottmoyse
in reply to: Anonymous

They shouldn't delete them from their local drive. But they shouldn't be sending them to you anyway. They would be using a Pack n Go from either Inventor or Vault.

So Yes you can delete them. But tell the sender to send the design to you correctly instead of zipping up the files from their workspace.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 12 of 14
scottmoyse

They *should* be using a Pack n Go from either Inventor or Vault.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

OK, thanks.

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

If I want to send mail via vault using "pack and go" with dwg files, the "_v" files are automatically attached to mail. I don't want this. How? Thank You.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report