Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning, Visualization Files are out of date --Why do I get this?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
steveh4
688 Views, 4 Replies

Warning, Visualization Files are out of date --Why do I get this?

Gang...always noticed this warning, but just ignored it.

visualization file out of date.png

Seem to always get this message, even after I just check a file into Vault.

Also, I noticed that when I batch plot, I sometimes don't get the proper version. In fact it plots a version that doesn't even exist in Vault. What I have been told is that the batch plot doesn't use the dwf, but actually recreates the .idw using Inventor View. We are now getting erroneous prints. But, as soon as we Update the View within Vault, the note disappears, and batch plot works properly.

So here's my questions...

1) Why do I get the warning even though the file was just checked in and the preview is up to date?

2) Is there a property that I can search on to find all the files with this Warning?

3) Does anybody know of a way to mass update the views to get rid of this warning?

Thanks for all the help!

Steve H.

Inventor---Vault Professional
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mikel_martin
in reply to: steveh4

The warning is shown for any visualization files that are created in an "uncontrolled" environment. The local workspace is an uncontrolled environment that the user (through various workflows) can cause the result of the DWF to be incorrect. So when a visualization file is created through the check-in command, this warning will be displayed.

Although this is somewhat rare, the concern is still there. When a visualization file is created through the Update command or the job server the Vault will download all file to a temp location before creating the DWF, therefore we know that the "correct" data was used to create the DWF.

it is possible to turn the warning off.

http://autodesk.cadgeekspeak.com/category/vault-viewing/

Batch Plot will use the existing DWF to plot if it is compliant and created in a controled manner. Otherwise it will use the CAD application to create the plot.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 5
steveh4
in reply to: mikel_martin

Thanks Mikel, been awhile since we have talked.......but I'm still a little confused.

Here's what I'm dealing with....

If I go to one workstation and use batch plot to print a set of drawings, I get versions not even in Vault, but if I print from View in Window, I get the proper print. 

Now, if I go to another workstation and batch plot, I get the proper versions.

And...if I update the view in Vault the batch plot seems to work as expected.

Why the differences between workstations. Plus, it scares me a littel knowing I'm getting a print not even in Vault.

Is there a way to mass update all of the dwfs to alleviate the warning and guarrantee I get the right print when batch plotting? Is there a property I can search on to have Job server do this for me?

Thx,

Steve H.

Inventor---Vault Professional
Message 4 of 5
mikel_martin

I not sure why you might be getting different results per machine. But here are some thoughts.

There is an option in the plot tool to use or not use visualization data.

Depending on how you select the data it is possible to have the data in the plot represent a specific revision or Latest.

Beyond that I am not sure what would cause the behavior you describe.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 5
OdaiSwinger

Can anyone answer Steve's questions about how to find files in Vault that have out of date visualization files?

I was hoping to do a search in our Vault on a property and then send the out of date files to the Job processor.

Vault 2015R2

Odai

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report