Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault upgrade 2010 to 2012

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
danaroland
220 Views, 4 Replies

Vault upgrade 2010 to 2012

I am getting ready to upgrade. I've verified system requirements. I've done several upgrades in the past, but this is the first time I've had to migrate the vault. I'm trying to understand the sequence involved.

1. Do I do the backup first?

2. Upgrade Server software like LMTools, ADMS next?

3. Install 2012 vault next?

4. Migrate and Restore backup?

5. Re-store, re-read License server paths, etc?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JamesMcMullen
in reply to: danaroland

We highly recommend backing up prior to doing any type of upgrade 🙂  Unsure if you have a secondary machine around that could be used as a test server, but we have found doing a test prior to the actual upgrade will help you notify your users at the amount of downtime will be involved.  I am not an expert on in place migrations but I think since you are 2 versions out that is not possible.  So here is what I would do:

1. create the backup

2. upgrade the server ( this will probably be an uninstall of the ADMS Console and an install of the latest ADMS Console)

3. update the LMTools

4. restore your backup to the 2012 release

5. update your clients

6. validate that everything restored properly

Another good place for information is the advanced configuration guide which can be found here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0206-Autodesk206/0264Advanced_Configuration

Thanks

Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 3 of 5
danaroland
in reply to: JamesMcMullen

Can you explain the secondary machine test? Obviously it doesn't have the original vault data on it. So do I do everything you stated and restore the backup to the test machine?

Message 4 of 5
JamesMcMullen
in reply to: danaroland

I look at the 2nd machine as either a VMware or another machine that you might have available.  I would install the ADMS Console 2012 the way that you would like to install it (full SQL / SQL Express / etc.).  Once that is done copy, the backup from its current location and place it on the server and perform a restore, as you mentioned.  If you do not have enough space on the machine, try the remote restore.  I always recommend a local restore over network but as mentioned if space is a problem there is no other option.  Another thing you can do to save space is copy over the backup structure including the databases and skip the file store files.  The main thing I look at here is to make sure the restore succeeds and get a time estimate on the operation. 

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.
Message 5 of 5

A colleague recommended the following link as well:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0206-Autodesk206/0261-Upgradin261

-Jim

James McMullen
Principal SQA Eng.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report