Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault projects from one database showing up in another database

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Rob.O
292 Views, 5 Replies

Vault projects from one database showing up in another database

I have seen this problem occur in Vault 2009, Vault 2010 and now in Vault 2012.

We have four different Vault databases.  When I log into a particular vault database, a project folder from another vault database will show up under the "Vault Explorer ($)" folder as well.  The project folder that is not supposed to be there is usually not complete, but just contains portions of the actual project folder.  This could potentially be dangerous.  Does anyone know what causes this and how to fix it?

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Rob.O
in reply to: Rob.O

Anyone?

Message 3 of 6
mollons

I am not sure how this could happen.

Are you sure someone, at times, hasn't inadvertently checked stuff into the wrong vault?

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 4 of 6
Rob.O
in reply to: mollons

So far we have no users on the Vault.  Myself and one other person has access to it.  I have just been setting it up and adding files to the different databases.

Is it even possible to check stuff into the wrong Vault?  I would assume that the only way this could be done is to be logged into one database in the Vault Explorer and logged into a different database through AutoCAD?  Even then, it would ask them what folder they wanted to check the files into.  I just don't see that someone could manage to get a close replica of a seperate database unless they really tried. I know that I am not doing this nor is the other person who has access.

I have seen this in older versions at a completely differnent company when using Vault 2009 and 2010 and now at this company using 2012.

All of the databases in question are using the same working folder... could this cause a conflict?

For now, I just delete the folders that do not belong.  This does not seem to affect the folder in the actual Database where the project is supposed to reside.

If you wish to investigate and require further info, please let me know!

Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
mollons

A couple things:

Can you check if the "date last modified" and "checked in by" properties for the files in the unexpectedlocations, and then compare against the same properties on the files in the vault they belong in? Are they the same or different? If they are different it suggests there were two different check ins, one to the wrong vault.

Using a common working folder for the two vaults may also be causing the problem, as this may inadvertently pick up other files for check-in if you do a check-in folder operation.

Also, do you use automatic log-in for vault? This often hides what vault you are logged in to, making inadvertent check-ins a possibility.

Scott Mollon
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help Wiki!
Message 6 of 6
Rob.O
in reply to: mollons

1) I noticed many of the files had dates that differed from the files in the vault they belonged in.  Again, I am not sure how this could have happened as we only have 3 Vault DBs with very minimal files in them with only 2 users so far.  I guess it's possible.

2) I deleted the files/folders from the Vault DBs they did not belong in and deleted them from the working folder too.  The problem files were all from a folder I had created in a "test" Vault.  In effect, I had a project called "1000 - XXX" in the test vault directly undeneath of the root folder.  I also had the actual "1000 - XXX" project in a differnet Vault DB in a subfolder called "Projects".  I wonder if the two were somehow confused.  All seems to be well since the deletion.

3) No, I personally do not use Auotmatic login.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report