Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault installs 32 bit SQL Express

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hans.martin.haga
904 Views, 4 Replies

Vault installs 32 bit SQL Express

Why is only the 32 bit version of SQL Express 2008 bundled with the Vault server installation?

If you let the Vault installation wizard install SQL-server, it installs a 32 bit SQL Server on a 64 bit Windows 2008 Server!

Upgrading from a 32 bit to 64 bit SQL-server is NOT a supported upgrade path by Microsoft, so when the day comes that the SQL-databases grow beyond the maximum limit (4/10 GB), the whole Vault server has to be reinstalled.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

200% agree with you.

Message 3 of 5
ihayesjr
in reply to: hans.martin.haga

Hi Hans,

Thanks you for your feedback on this.  Every year we evaluate our installation scenarios and we try to proceed with the best options we have available do to our different installation options.  As 64-bit operating systems become the norm, we will evaluate what we have to do to make a change in the future.

If you are upgrading from SQL 32-bit to 64-bit the entire Vault Server doesn't need to be re-installed.

You can uninstall SQL 32-bit, install SQL 64-bit using the Advanced Configuration Guide and lauch the previously installed ADMS Console.  You can perform a restore of the backup, recommended prior to uninstalling SQL 32-bit, and it will install in the SQL 64-bit installation.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 4 of 5

Dear Hans,

I am very curious on exactly how to do this? I have 2012 Vault Basic running on a XP-Pro 32-bit SQL 2005 and I am trying move my Vault onto a brand new server Running 2013 Vault Basic, Windows 7-Pro 64-bit, SQL 2008 r2 Express.  I cannot get my backup file from the 2012 Server to Restore onto the 2013 machine.  The message I receive is:

“”…The Database or Backup is not compatible with the database server.  This error May be caused by restoring or attaching files from a version of SQL Server that is higher than the version of your SQL server…””

But as you can see I’m actually going from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 r2 Express.

Thank you,

Daryl

Message 5 of 5
ihayesjr
in reply to: Daryl.Pilarski

Daryl,

If your SQL 2005 version is not SQL Express you cannot upgrade to SQL Express 2008.  If you have SQL 2005 Standard you must upgrade to a Standard or higher edition of 2008.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report