Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault growth prediction

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
tmccar
524 Views, 10 Replies

Vault growth prediction

I would like to do a projection of data requirements for 5 yearss with a Vault that will start off at 300 GB. Are there any guidelines or recommendations on how to do such a projection?

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
kevin.mccarthy
in reply to: tmccar

I have asked the same question of our dealer with who kind of looked down at the ground and then at each other. Twice no with no answer.

Your going to have to work this out your self ! I am trying to identify this myself.

Message 3 of 11
Andy.Spivey

Unfortunaly I cannot give much guidance regarding either.  There are many variables that wille effect the growth of vault (something else to consider is database growth vs filestore growth).  Some examples below:

How many versions for your designs are you anticipating to be created?

Are you planing to trim the filestore periodically by purging undesired versions?

How many new files / designs are you planning to implement?

Will you be using an item or document release process or none?

Will you be catagorizing several differnt file types?

How many properties are you planning to extract from various filetypes?

These are examples of factors that will attribute to vault growth.  If you generally do not add much new content or newer versions to vault and your vault size will reflect minimal grown.  However, if you plan on versioning files continuously after each change and keepign those versions, I would expect the size to grow fairly rapidly.

I know that is a very vague answer, but I hope it helps.

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer
Message 4 of 11
cmcconnell

...and the way Inventor dirties files that don't change, it grows very quickly.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 5 of 11
scottmoyse
in reply to: cmcconnell

can you explain this comment? why does it add versions just by inventor dirtying files? can you give an example workflow?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 6 of 11
cmcconnell
in reply to: scottmoyse

Sure...

• Open an assembly
  • check it out (just the assembly)
  • make edits to the assembly - create and delete constraints; create workplanes etc.
  • before too long Inventor will be asking to check out some of the parts in the assembly.
  • checking in the assembly (and its children) create new versions of the files that were checked out and modified.

the part files are mofified without the user making any changes to them. This is especially painful when some of the parts are Released.

Message 7 of 11
scottmoyse

ok, thankyou. this is the same undesirable behaviour i have seen, its Inventors fault. Its about time Autodesk got Inventor & Vault to play nice in this regard. A similar thing happens with Derived parts.

You change a sketch to modify one of the bodies. None of the other bodies are affected. However, upon update of the assembly, all child parts that use the source model (skeletal or otherwise) want to be updated. Again a absolute nightmare when you have released parts. You may only want to up rev 1 of 10 parts, but you have to put the other 9 into quick change just so you maintain a stable model. NOT COOL!

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 8 of 11
cmcconnell
in reply to: scottmoyse

Another example:

This morning, I had an assembly and a drawing of the assembly open with most of the associated files checked out. I saved everything, and checked it all in. Then I checked out just the assembky file. I switched to the drawing and back to the assembly. Inventor began throwing the would you like to edit locked parts dialog over and over again.

Most of our Vault is set as Quick Change because of this terrible behavior.

Message 9 of 11
kevin.mccarthy

We go through a database sizing exercise when ever we install a SQL data base and identify backup plans etc blah blah blah.

I found plenty of info in the advanced_config_guide_-_2012.pdf but no planning guide for capacity. So I have to take a flyer (calculate) on it and say five times current storage minimum given our workflows and same for backups.  This is why we never implimented three years ago the cost was high when this was considered and with no indication of this from the supplier in his costs only un-answered questions.  For me the biggest problem with all of this is the cost of expanding the storage, but at least I planned ahead based on the identifying this issue in the past. We upgraded server and storage in the last tweleve months due to end of life and I got what I needed in an  on our Equallogic storage solution you might be in trouble if your storage solution is based on standalone servers do the calcs for capacity and backup time we moved away from tape to disc. So I can tell my manager that we are in a position to impliment having a  reduction in the real world cost.

Whats your real cost of implimentation in twelve months time? So plan accordingly and make sure you include it in your budget or else you be upgrading storage and backup along with your CV!

All the best.

Kevin.

Message 10 of 11
tmccar
in reply to: kevin.mccarthy

Yes, I originally took the increase of data for the past year (88%) and multiplied the data by 1.88 for each year for the next 5 years. However IT got a bit concerned with the projected size (7.2 TB) so I decided to use a linear progression (add last year's increase to each future year)  This brings it down to 3.1 TB so I'm going to take a flyer with this too.

Message 11 of 11
scottmoyse

I just went for 8TB, but then discovered the 2TB OS drive limit. So now we have 8 x 2TB in RAID 10 partitioned into 2 volumes of 2 & 6 TB. But I made sure I told them within 12 months the tape backup would be inadequate and should be kicked into touch anyway. Our IT contractor is putting together a backup proposal now.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report