Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault User Interface Inconsistencies

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
scottmoyse
969 Views, 14 Replies

Vault User Interface Inconsistencies

I'm starting a series of blog posts highlighting the UI issues in Vault. As I have the time and come across them I will be posting on the blog.

Intro:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/autodesk-vault-love-hate-relationship/

here is the first post:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/vault-vault-ui-property-conditions/

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mikel_martin
in reply to: scottmoyse

(repost due to spelling error)

Hi Scott,

First, let me say I look forward to the feedback. We are always glad to receive constructive feedback from our customers. I plan to add your blog to my rss feeds so I can be sure not to miss the conversation.

On another note, as someone that cares about this issue, would you be willing to be considered a regular contact for our UX team and give feedback on planed changes?

If you (or anyone else) is interesting proving feedback to our UX team please send me your contact information and I will add you to our list. My email is mikel.martin@autodesk.com.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: mikel_martin

Thank you for taking the time to reply Mikel. I have sent you an email

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 15
knacsol113

Hi Scott, Here's one: When using the "Assign Category" tool, I have two options to move the Available Property Definitions across to the Assigned Property Definitions box. Both "drag 'n drop" and the "Add>>" button work. When using the "Configure Data Card" however, I can only use the "Add ->" (note that the arrows are different, >> vs ->) button to move the Properties to the Data Card box. Drag 'n drop doesn't work. And then yet another difference, in the "Item Export" wizard, there is no "Add" button at all. I can ONLY drag 'n drop the Vault Professional Attributes to the Export file box. See attached screenshots. Go figure....
Message 5 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: knacsol113

Great start, that one is a proper can of worms, I will elaborate on it in my post. Cheers!

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
cliff.haynes

I have one. Sometimes when using the Inventor Add-In I attempt to check in an assembly containing library parts or assemblies. For some reason Inventor thinks those library parts have changed, and when I try to check the assembly in it fails due to not being able to save those 'changed' library parts. To get around this, I close the file, which brings up the dialog asking if I want to check the assembly in (provided it is already in vault and I have it checked out of course). If I click 'Yes', it should give me grief about not being able to save the library file/assembly, but instead it ignores that and takes me to the check in dialog, where I can successfully check in the assembly.

This is with Vault Collaboration 2012. Has anyone else experienced this?

Message 7 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: cliff.haynes

yes but the close workaround is a handy bug. There are a number of reasons why this happens check these out:

http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/2010/10/why-does-my-inventor-assembly-always-ne...

http://crackingthevault.typepad.com/crackingthevault/2010/10/changes-have-been-made-to-some-assembly...

But you can check out my article and other posts about vault here:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/mfg-pages/inventor/inventor-navigating-the-library-assembly-mine...

Some videos for it are here: http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/mfg-pages/inventor/inventor-vault-library-videos/

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 8 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: knacsol113

@knacsol113 wrote:
Hi Scott, Here's one: When using the "Assign Category" tool, I have two options to move the Available Property Definitions across to the Assigned Property Definitions box. Both "drag 'n drop" and the "Add>>" button work. When using the "Configure Data Card" however, I can only use the "Add ->" (note that the arrows are different, >> vs ->) button to move the Properties to the Data Card box. Drag 'n drop doesn't work. And then yet another difference, in the "Item Export" wizard, there is no "Add" button at all. I can ONLY drag 'n drop the Vault Professional Attributes to the Export file box. See attached screenshots. Go figure....

Thanks a lot for posting that "un named" 🙂 I have created a blog post here:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/autodesk-vault-vault-ui-assign-configure-add-dialogues/

I added a few more cases but didn't include the item import example, since that format works well for mapping out the properties between the source file and the destination Items.

I hope you like it.

If you have any more example fire them through.

Cheers

Scott.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: mikel_martin

This issue relates to renaming folders

http://designandmotion.net/bug-report/autodesk-vault-vault-ui-rename-folder

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
scottmoyse

This one covers some small issues when creating a New Folder in the Vault Client

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/autodesk-vault-vault-ui-folder/

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
scottmoyse

This post highlights inconsistencies with common Vault tools when used with Search Folders:

http://designandmotion.net/autodesk/autodesk-vault-vault-ui-search-folder-issues/

I think this post will get added to as time goes on and I discover more issues surrounding the use of Search Folders.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
Senthil_Kumar

Scott,

Thanks for the post. With 2013 release you can get the properties from the Search folder result.

Search.png

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 13 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Ok I will take a look. Cheers Regards Scott Moyse Sent from my iPhone ##################################################################################### This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses and Content and cleared by MailMarshal #####################################################################################

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
scottmoyse
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Yup that particular issue has been resolve Senthil, thanks for pointing it out. I've updated the blog post to suit. I did notice however, that the Properties command is available in the context menu for folders but not for files.... it should be consistent, although I do acknowledge users are more likely to access folder 'properties' for control security settings than they are with files.

This raising a point though. Why is there a command to access the 'Properties' of files & folders but also the Properties grid for files & folders. This is a conflict in terminology, you soon get used to it, however, for new users, they right click to see Properties on folders, or see properties in the file menu and expect to have a dialogue appear which will allow them to modify UDP's or System properties...

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
Senthil_Kumar

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply and further information on the UI. I agree with you on the inconsistency part as well as about the "Properties" command. I will forward this to the development team to take a look.

Thanks again!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report