Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Server 2012 Installation Error

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
shaunfarris
1201 Views, 7 Replies

Vault Server 2012 Installation Error

I keep getting the following error message when trying to install the latest Vault Server 2012

an older version of sql server is used for an existing vault database instance

When I click on the link the information to be honest is worse than useless, it gives absolutely no indication of how to solve the problem.

How do I get past this error

I am trying to update to 2012 from 2011, unfortunately after numerous attempts I ununstalled 2011 Management Console hoping this would allow the 2012 installation to continue but it makes no difference.......and also no I cannot reinstall 2011 for the exact same reason.

Any ideas

Shaun

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ihayesjr
in reply to: shaunfarris

Shaun,

The log file you attached shows the following:

Vault database instance SQL Version = 9.0.5000

Please use SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 1 or higher for Vault database instance.

This indicates that you have SQL Server 2005 installed.  You need to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 SP1, I recommend installing SQL Server 2008 SP2.

Irvin Hayes Jr
Sr. Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Vault - Under the Hood Blog
Message 3 of 8
shaunfarris
in reply to: ihayesjr

Thanks for your reply, however I had installed SQL 2008 Express, but for some reason it hasnt upgraded.

I have now uninstalled all references to SQL Server 2008 Express and am now in the process of reinstalling however I have hit a problem which I beleive is why its not upgrading.

When I get to the 'Select Instance' in the SQL Server installation process I only get an option to select 'SQLEXPRESS' or '<Shared Components>' however listed in the installed instances window it shows SQLEXPRESS then AUTODESKVAULT then Shared Components, but the select instance doesnt give the option to select AUTODESKVAULT.

How do I get it to select this and then upgrade it

As a side issue why is it that with every new release of Vault, is the installation process so much more complicated and error strewn, I never used to have any problems at all but now it never works without major headaches and many hours and days of downtime.

Message 4 of 8
r.smith1

Please log a support request and we can assist your specfic issue further.

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 8
shaunfarris
in reply to: r.smith1

Hi,

How do I log a support request?

I have now tried alsorts of things including completely removing SQL Server and reinstalling but all attempts continually refuse to upgrade the AUTODESKVAULT instance, this is getting extremely annoying now, and If I could find a way of abandoning the use of any Vault product I would. I still cant beleive something as simple as installing a software product can create so many problems and now cost me 3 days work

Message 6 of 8
shaunfarris

This is really causing me major hassle now.

i have tried uninstalling everthing to do with SQL and the Vault install still insists I have an old version. I then install just the SQL 2008 Express R2 and it wont upgrade AUTODESKVAULT how do I get past this, because as it stands I cannot do anything

Anyone please help.

If anyone knows of a way of extracting the files from the Vault filestore I would do this just to bin the Vault altogether as the last 2 upgrades have created more problems than they are worth.

Message 7 of 8
r.smith1

If you log into your subscription center, you should see a link to submit a support request. 

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 8
Andy.Spivey

Shaun,

Please follow the advanced configuration guide to upgrade the existing SQL instance.  I am assuming that when you were installing 2008 Sp1 (or Sp2) a new instance was being installed instead of updating the existing instance named AutodeskVault.

The advanced configuration guide is located both on the Wiki and as a PDF download.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/Advanced_Configu...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16853779&linkID=9261341

As you are currently on SQL 2005 (I assume express) you should be able to launch the Installer for SQL 2008 SP2, and choose Installation - > Upgrade from SQL 2000 or 2005 (similar to page 13 of the 2012 guide).

Andy Spivey
SQA Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report