Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault File Storage for Non-Design Files - Should versions be purged?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
bpettus
365 Views, 2 Replies

Vault File Storage for Non-Design Files - Should versions be purged?

This is a question for the Vault software architect. We have a mixed environment employing Autocad Arch, Mech, Civil3d, 3dsMax. We use Vault 2014 Pro as our design storage center which means many non-CAD files get checked in with their parent files, the bulk of which are large PDF and image files (xrefs and texture maps for the dwgs and 3d models) As these files are modified and reloaded, versions amass.

From what was explained to me, the incremental nature of versioning for design files (dwgs in particular) allows Vault to manage file size efficiently by only adding the changes in data to the filestore rather than a full duplicate. (am I dreaming here :)?

How does Vault manage non-design files? ie when I vault a 200MB PSD file, check it out to modify, check it back in, have I effectively made 2 copies of the 200MB file?

At that point, is there a way to limit versions for certain filetype or would you need to manually purge?

thanks,

B
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mikel_martin
in reply to: bpettus

The Vault never does delta file storage for any file types.

The reasoning behind this is that we have found in our testing there was not a significant gain in doing so, however there was a significant performance slowdown when trying to calculate the delta between two versions.

That said, technology changes and we may find at some point in the future it does provide enough benefit and re-evaluate.

What we do to reduce file storage issue is;

1. If you checkout a file and then check it back in, if not actual changes has occurred to the file we perform and undo checkout and do not re-upload the file.

2. If two versions in the Vault have the same file bits (meta-data change only) we do not make a new copy of the file in the file store.

The purge system will is the supported method for removing files from the file store. Purge can be ran in batch via the ADMS and can be scripted via the command line.

Mikel Martin
User Experience Architect
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 3
bpettus
in reply to: bpettus

Mikel,

Excellent information! I have been wondering about that for quite some time. Going forward we will limit versions and purge unnecessary data. Thanks for your reply and an excellent software product, looking forward to learning more at AU

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report