Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Explorer 2014 fails to open file

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
JamieVJohnson2
959 Views, 15 Replies

Vault Explorer 2014 fails to open file

In vault explorer for Product Design Suite 2014 Professional, whenever I open a file and choose NOT to overwrite an existing file on my hard drive (a file that is marked as newer than what is in vault).  The vault explorer cancels the open file command, and I get nothing.  I then have to goto my file open in Inventor 2014 Pro, and manually open the file from my vault working folder.

Is this a bug or is there a workaround?

jvj
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
gaol
in reply to: JamieVJohnson2

Hi Jvj,

When you Open a file in VE, it means to open the latest version, if you choose not download the latest one to your working folder, it can't be opened, this is as designed.

In your case, you just want to open the existing one in your working folder, I suggest you in VE, right click the file and choose "Go to working folder", then open files there.

Hope this workaround helps.

Thanks,
Lily
Message 3 of 16
BrotherkennyhDWR
in reply to: gaol

I haven't used the 2014 client yet, we are just getting ready to make the switch.

If this is as designed then this is an annoying change. The 2013 client does open a file when you choose not to overwrite the newer version. It continues to open the newer file from your working folder. we should not have to browse to the working folder first.

I think it is better practise to stay in the habit of browsing for files and opening them through VE because it keeps you aware of the file status. I can see that users will end up of browsing for files through their working folder rather than opening it through the vault.

Cheers

Kenny

Message 4 of 16

Go back and read my comment again.  The file from vault is OLDER than the file in my working folder.  Therefore Vault is in error to choose NOT to open the file because of the discision to NOT overwrite the NEWER file aready on my harddrive.

If the programmers are going to create a new feature, they better work out the old bugs first.  Remove the checksum file filter.

jvj
Message 5 of 16
gaol
in reply to: BrotherkennyhDWR

We have tracked this issue and will let you know when there is any update.

Thanks,
Lily
Message 6 of 16
gaol
in reply to: gaol

I would like to make it more clear that we have logged this issue in our system, and we will fix it and make it same behavior with 2013, no target date by far, will update with you when any update.

Thanks,
Lily
Message 7 of 16
sebgonz

I am having this same error. I'd prefer it to be the same way as 2013, where it actually made sense to prompt me and continue when I said "No to All". Cancelling the open command is not the right way to handle this.

My PC Config:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
Dual AMD Radeon HD 6450

Running Product Design Suite 2014
Message 8 of 16
gaol
in reply to: sebgonz

Hi,

We have logged this issue and will fix it.

Thanks,
Lily
Message 9 of 16

It is now December 2013, several service packs have been released, and this issue Persists.  What is up with that?

jvj
Message 10 of 16

Jamie,

This is been fixed in our Vault 2014 Subscription Release 1. If you are on subscription please go ahead and download this from Subscription site.

Thanks!

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Be sure to check out the Vault Help!
Message 11 of 16

I am on Subscription, and I do not see a Subscription Release 1 for Vault 2014 in the product enhancements section. 

I'm currently running Vault Basic Update 1 build 18.1.8.0, and the problem persists.

jvj
Message 12 of 16

Jamie,

The Subscription release is for customers who are Subscribed to Vault 2014 Workgroup and Professional.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 16
n.schotten
in reply to: Senthil_Kumar

Well that sucks!

So the bug is not getting fixed in the vault basic version?

That is just not right!

Message 14 of 16
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: n.schotten

Yea, I'm on subscription, they fixed the problem, its a very HUGE problem to their system that didn't exist until they changed the code in 2013.  They should fix it, and release the fix for everybody.  Its not like the program has a different base structure for each version.  I've seen the APIs.  If anything I think they may be using the paid in Vault users as guinea pigs to test the fix. 

They could just roll back that portion of the code, recompile, and release; if the structure is written with proper o.o. code design.

Rant, and Rave, and Rant some more!

jvj

jvj
Message 15 of 16
dandoleman

I agree that this should not be just for Workgroup and Professional Subs customers. All customers using Vault (on subscription or not) should still be entitled to fixes that have been changed from expected behaviour in previous releases.

I have a couple of customers who have reported this behaviour in Vault Basic (they are on Subsciption) and find it an awkward workaround to have to go back to their working folder to open the file it seems counter-intuitive for a data management system.

Any chance of this getting updated for Vault basic customers?

Dan

Message 16 of 16
Senthil_Kumar
in reply to: dandoleman

We have fixed this issue also in Base Vault with Vault 2014 SP2. You can get the Vault 2014 SP2 from the following location.

Senthil Kumar
Development Manager,
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report