Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault DWF stored... where?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
cbenner
735 Views, 9 Replies

Vault DWF stored... where?

Vault Professional 2013.

We would love to be able to extract or link to the dwf of our released prints, which are in the Item Master.  These, I know, go into the database... somewhere.  it appears though, that the database buries them with a different naming scheme (I'm sure it's for protection).

is there any way to locate and link to these dwf's so that they can be viewed by a different program?  Specifically, we'd like to link them to our inventory program so when a PO is placed for a part, a print with the Watermark stamp can be sent with it.  best we can come up with right now is to link to the Web Viewer page so that purchasing can make a PDF of the approved print.  It would be nice to have a more direct link to take as much human error out of the equation as possible.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Chris,

I am pretty sure that if you have the vault pro version you can do what you are describing when it comes to linking.

As far as the dwf files, if you go to tools.PNG

and check the "Show Hidden Files"

options.PNG

Your dwf files will show up.  This is the way we do it in the 2012 workgroup version.

If there is a different way I don't know what it is.  Smiley Very Happy

Hope this helps you Chris.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10
cbenner
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks, Scott...

I'm looking for how to locate them in the actual SQL database though.  I know how to see them in the Vault interface.  But the dwf file itself is stored somewhere deep in the SQL database and is NOT named the same as the file itself, but given a seemingly random filename.  Somewhere in the dbase though, it is linked to the filename.... or so you would think.  If our programmer knew what voodoo they do to store these things in SQL, she could create a link to our ERP system.  Right now we have to print the dwf to a pdf and link that to the part number in our ERP.  Too much room for human error in that, if someone revises the drawing and forgets to update the pdf,... suddenly we're ordering parts to the wrong revision.

For example, if I go to the Vault Server, and look a Filestore in Windows Explorer I see something like this:

filestore.JPG

That dwf filename has no relation to the file it actually represents, the name is generated by the system somehow.  I'm not sure we're even supposed to know this folder structure is there.  Smiley Very Happy

Somewhere in the SQL dbase manager, there has to be something that tells Vault what file entry to attach this too so it shows up in the Client.  Maybe too arcane to even attempt.

Message 4 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: cbenner

Yeah, sorry Chris.  I can't help you with that one.  When I used to use the PDM workgroup software for Solidworks, I was incharge of the system and that involved the SQL system.  If the vault SQL is anything like the Solidworks PDM one, you absolutely do not want to mess with it unless you have had training and know how it is contructed.  With the PDM software there were no files, but rather just folders.

Sorry I missed what you were looking to do.  You might want to press the "Need an Answer" button on this one.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 10
minkd

We do not support anyone accessing data directly from the database. Instead we have an API that is safe to use.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: minkd

Dave,

Can you elaborate on this please?  What API and where is it?  Are there training pdf files that explain what you are talking about?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 10
cbenner
Message 8 of 10
minkd

A search for API on the Vault Wiki produced the following link as the first result:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/Help/Help/0378-Develope378

I would start there.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Tags (1)
Message 9 of 10
minkd

Take a look at the "Hyperlink Maestro" sample code on Doug's blog:

http://justonesandzeros.typepad.com/blog/2011/06/hyperlink-maestro.html

I suspect you are looking do something along those lines, so having some sample code that does similar things can be a big help.

-Dave

Dave Mink
Fusion Lifecycle
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 10
cbenner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report