Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Basic Install

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
ChristianAlanJamesBerg
546 Views, 14 Replies

Vault Basic Install

So I am trying to set up a new Vault client on a computer and when I go to install it I get an error saying "Installation cannot proceed because not qualifying CAD applications were found....". After doing some digging I noticed this has to do with the fact that there are no 2014 Autodesk CAD programs installed.

Does anyone know if I download a 2014 viewer (I was thinking DWG TrueView and Inventor View for what I need) does that qualify as a CAD program? All I am setting this user up for is for read only so I don't want to install a full version of AutoCAD or another product because they will not be editing documents at all.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

it requires an autocad based product or inventor to use free vault

this is not a requirement for vault workgroup or higher

the free viewer does not qualify

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15

But once I install the vault client it doesn't need to open through one of those programs right? If I were to get around the install issue which shouldn't be a problem can I open from Vault with just the viewers? I don't see why I wouldn't because all I am using it for is file retrieval but just wanted to check before I go through all that work.

Message 4 of 15

no the free viewers don't have a vault add in

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15

Ok so maybe I am not fully understanding how it works, but with the vault client can't I download the files to the working folder and from there manually open the files using a viewer?

Message 6 of 15

yes that could be possible

the vault client would have to be installed on another machine since this user will  not have a qualifying CAD product installed

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 15

Does it only check during install? Or does the client require the presence of the qualifying CAD product at all time?

Message 8 of 15

to install it

it does check for a qualifying cad product if it doesn't find one it will not install

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

the paid for Vault products do not require a CAD seat to be installed

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 10 of 15

Seems like a trial install of CAD would trick it? The reason I am going through so much trouble is I have an open spot in the vault but not additional licences for AutoCAD etc. adn because all they are doing is viewing documents I thought it wouldn't be an issue.

Message 11 of 15

that should work

something your going to have to test

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 12 of 15

Ok cool, thanks for all of your input. Now that I know how that works it shouldn't be hard to figure out. Thanks again!

Message 13 of 15

If all you want to do is view files, can't you do that using the dwf files that vault creates (assuming you have the vault set-up to do that)?

Then you can use any viewer/program that will open dwfs, no vault required.

Message 14 of 15

How would they retrieve the dwf files?

Message 15 of 15

There is an option in the vault to specify the location of the dwfs.

I may have this wrong. We are also in the process of setting up our vault. I have used it before at a previous employer, and we would view dwfs. I thought they were available in a public folder that did not require the vault to access. Maybe someone with more experience can help us out here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report