Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2015 thin client Office viewer

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dvsmiller9
493 Views, 5 Replies

Vault 2015 thin client Office viewer

Is there a way to allow embedded viewing of MS Office files in the thin client?  PDFs and DWFs launch embedded viewers in new tabs on both IE and Chrome (haven't tested Firefox).  Office files want me to download and open with the native program.  I would prefer not allowing casual users to download the original Office documents.  Am I missing a configuration setup?  I've already followed the settings given here: http://help.autodesk.com/view/VAULT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-A32497D4-14D5-4FC9-B1E0-D5033D9462D5

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
r.smith1
in reply to: dvsmiller9

Hi dmiller,

If you are in need of reviewing MS Office files on a computer where you do not wish to install the full office application, then perhaps you may consider simply installing Office viewing applications.  If the previous does not help, perhaps there are newer viewers from Microsoft search keyword viewer at http://office.microsoft.com/en-US/?CTT=97

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 6
jesseck

dmiller,

Vault Thnk Client doesn't have an web viewers for Office documents.  It looks like Microsoft's solution (Office Web Viewer) may not work since it links to a public document.  With a combination of Office Web Apps, SharePoint Server 2013, and Vault Professional, you could most likely deliver this to your end users though.

Message 4 of 6
dvsmiller9
in reply to: r.smith1

Thanks Ron, but that doesn't fully solve the problem.  We already have the Office Viewers you reference.  I don't want the users of the thin client to have anything but read only access to the files.  By having to download the file locally to view it, whether in full Office or in the standalone viewer, opens up the possibility of being able to edit it or just keeping it around and using it instead of checking for a new version.  We currently use a read-only server share with PDFs for this reason (we have had issues in the past).  I can't use the thin client as a replacement unless I can better control the download behavior of files.

I've entered a request in the Vault Ideastation for this.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
dvsmiller9
in reply to: jesseck

jesseck,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm staying away from Sharepoint, and I'd like to keep it all inside my firewall.

Message 6 of 6
mansilbar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report