Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault 2014 Search not functioning

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
richardp
540 Views, 7 Replies

Vault 2014 Search not functioning

Hi all,

Recently, just out of the blue (apparently) our vault (basic) clients seem unable to search for files. We can manually locate the files but as soon as we try to search for them, vault returns with 0 results and displays the generic message 'There are no items to show in this view.' Even if I am in the folder where the file is located, vault cannot find the file I am requesting.

We've updated to Service Pack 2, downgraded to .Net 4.0 and still no joy.

If anyone has a solution, please advise.

Attached are screenshots of the file search fail.

Tags (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
paul.gunn
in reply to: richardp

Hi Richard,

I would suggest rebuilding the search indexes. This can be done via ADMS console on the server. It is possible that the existing indexes have become damaged or corrupted in some way .

Paul

Message 3 of 8
johannes.bauer
in reply to: paul.gunn

Hi Richard,

here you can see a KB Article who shows how this is done.

HTH
Johannes Bauer

Customer Technical Successt
Message 4 of 8
richardp
in reply to: richardp

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your assistance. We are back on track!

Much appreciated!

RP

Message 5 of 8
eric.gauthier

Hi Paul,
Do you know if your solution can resolve my problem which is that file containing a "dot" in its filename (like '782.0167.ipt') doesn't display in a search results? I'm using Vault Basic 2014.
Thanks,

Eric G.
Inventor Pro 2014 Build 246 Release 2014 SP2 Update 6
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Dell Precision T7600, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30 GHz 4 cores
32 Go RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 5000, driver 9.18.13.745
Message 6 of 8
paul.gunn
in reply to: eric.gauthier

Hi Eric,

If you are finding other similar files, but not this one in particular, then (yes) an index rebuild may be helpful. Another thing to try might be an advanced search with the 'is' operator. The default 'contains' search does tokenization on characters like '.' - which 'is' searches will not do. Even with the default search though, I would expect your search to return the desired results (if anything the default search might return more results than expected) .

Paul

Message 7 of 8
eric.gauthier

Hi Paul,

I can keep my search to 'contains' but I have to add an '*' in place of the '.' which means to get my '782.0167.ipt' file, I have to search for '782*', just searching for '782' does NOT return my file. A 'contains' search with '782.0167' will find my file but searching '782.0' will NOT. Personally, I would expect a 'contains' search to work with '782.0'...

Thank you for your quick answer!

Eric G.
Inventor Pro 2014 Build 246 Release 2014 SP2 Update 6
Windows 7 Pro SP1
Dell Precision T7600, Intel Xeon CPU E5-2643 0 @ 3.30 GHz 4 cores
32 Go RAM, NVIDIA Quadro 5000, driver 9.18.13.745
Message 8 of 8
paul.gunn
in reply to: eric.gauthier

Hi Eric,

It seems like other delimiters like '-' are treated differently than '.' . e.g. if I add a file with the name 782-0167 to vault then the search for 782 will find the file. I'm not sure why the two characters are treated differently in Vault and whether this was intentional - this behavior goes back over 10 years now.

I can say that searching for '782.0' or '782-0' will never work without the wildcard and is not intended to. If we automatically did partial number searches, one could potentially get excessive numbers of results - which many customers would dislike. The wildcard allows access to those expanded numbers of results but is needed explicitly  to 'opt in' to that behavior.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report