Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Vault rev table manually

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mclachs
665 Views, 8 Replies

Updating Vault rev table manually

Hi All

I have followed the steps described here http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com/blog/2012/11/diy-revision-table-manually-updating-your-revi... but somehow I cannot get the rev table values to update

1. Edit properties and enter values
  2. Actions Sync properties - vault tells me no update is required
  3. Create DWF (manually and thru JP) - values do not get updated on the rev table

When I look at the custom properties, the values are there but somehow do not flow into the rev table unless i check out and check in.

I was hoping that drawings DO NOT need a checkout/check in with this method of updating the rev table, but simply edit properties, sync and submit to JP to update DWF. Rev table integration is turned off.

Am I missing something?

Regards

Max B

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
olearya
in reply to: mclachs

Hi Max,

Can you clarify your statement "Rev Table Integration" is switched off?  If you are not using the Vault revision table there is no way to update the table in Inventor / AutoCAD via Vault.  

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 9
cbenner

Do you have all of the properties properly mapped to the associated CAD file properties?  Can you post a screen shot of your mappings to make sure they all go in the right direction?

Message 4 of 9
mclachs

Hi Allan/Chris

See attachment. I thought the original document said this can be done without the aid of the rev table integration.

Are you saying it cannot be done without the rev table integration being turned ON, and using lifecycle state transition to update rev table and submit job to JP?

Max

Message 5 of 9
cbenner

AutoCAD 2013; AuoCAD Electrical 2013; IV 2013 Professional: Tube and Pipe, Frame Generator, Content Center; Vault Professional 2013: Client, ECOUsing the instructions in the blog post, you can update the rev table manually (without Job Processor), but Vault Rev table does need to be active.

rev.JPG

I don't use this anymore, but for a while we were controlling revisions with this method, using the sync properties to update the rev table.  What it DID require us to do, however, was to Release the drawing (to lock in the revision information) the change state to a Quick Change (which did not bump revision but allowed changes), then Sync Properties and update the Visualization.  The Rev Table would update, and then we put the file back to Released.  We used a series of user Defined Properties to fill in the fields in the rev block, but what info you put in there is totally up to you.  You also need to make sure that Inventor's revision table style (in styles manager) is set up to use the same properties.  Plus I can see in your image that you visualization needs updating.

Message 6 of 9
mclachs
in reply to: cbenner

Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply. Did you ever have to open cad files in Inventor or were you doing all operations from Vault Explorer?

In my case the values end up in the custom iproperties but previous values still show up in the rev table. I tried with rev table integration turned off and still does the same.

I am trying to use ITEMS and wanted to find a manual way of doing what the file life cycles and rev table integration does on files.

Max
Sent from my iPhone
Message 7 of 9
cbenner

Hi Max,

Once I had the procedure working, I never had to open a file to get it to update, unless it was an older file that did not have the Vault Revision table already set up in Styles Manager.  It does have to be there, and it has to be set as your defualt in Object Defaults.  So, in the case of older drawings, there was a need to open the drawing and get it set up for these new procedures.  Vault Rev table will not automatically update an older revision table that was a standard Inventor table.  It doesn't know how to deal with those.  The Vault UDP's need to be mapped (in Vault client) to the matching iproperties in Inventor.  Then in Inventor the Vault Revision table needs to be added to your styles manager with those same iproperties on it... AND (as you showed in your image above) the Vault Rev Table needs to also be pointing to these same properties. (lot of setup).  Once all of that is in place, and th VRT is enabled... AND you set the changes mentioned in that blog post... (whew), it SHOULD work. 

You mention Items.... if you are going to be using a lot of Items, you'll have to make a decision on how you want to handle your revision control.  Item revision vs File revision.... pick one, but don't try to do both.  I just went through this myself over here, and took a class last week at AU that talked about the very same thing.  Item revisions do NOT have any automatic revision tables... but (I'm not supposed to do this)... if you look at the blog in my signature, you'll see how I semi-automated this, with the help of some very talented people in these forums.  Do a bunch of research and then make a strategic decision on what works best for your company, before you put a whole lot of energy into trying to make either one work.  Once you've picked a direction, start chipping away at it... we can help with that.  Most of what I know about Vault I learned from the help files, and right here in these forums.

Message 8 of 9
mclachs
in reply to: cbenner

Hi Chris

Persistence and your guidance finally paid off. Got it working thanks

Its interesting that unless it uses a category that is linked with a life cycle and rev scheme it does not work.

Styles revision table is critical for this to work. My local style matched the rev table but the library didn't so it was using the one from the library

Thanks once again cheers

Max
Sent from my iPhone
Message 9 of 9
cbenner

The main purpose of categories in Vault is just that, to define the lifecycle and revision schemes.  They also can be used to determine what properties are attached for editing Items. (Item categories).  Since we moved to Items a few months ago, I've pared down our categories to 2.... one that uses an Alpha revision scheme, and everything else which uses a Numeric scheme.  It will really simplify things moving forward from here.

Best of luck as you keep going on this, don't hesitate to ask more questions... believe me, I'm certain I ask more than I answer!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report