Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Users Creating Folders

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Stemdriller
822 Views, 12 Replies

Stop Users Creating Folders

Hi

We are trying to stop users creating folders within Vault.

On investigation it appears the only way is to give users Document Consumer Roles, which is not good.

Just trying to keep the Vault nice and tidy otherwise them 'users' will be creating folders everywhere.

GW

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
olearya
in reply to: Stemdriller

Hi GW,

Yes, in order to be able to modify files within and add files to a folder the Vault users need access to modify folder contents (including creating new).  We have heard and captured similar requests to this in the past from CAD administrators looking to lock down user behavior like folder create.

Your only option for now is likely to monitor folder structure for "rogue" users creation. 

Allan
Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 13
Stemdriller
in reply to: olearya

Hi Allan

Thanks for replying.

Yes I would like to throw my weight behind such a change. We think this is a major disadvantage.

Users simply cannot be trusted and before anyone knows it there will be folders everywhere.

Administrators needs this functunality.

Gareth

Message 4 of 13
pvcosta
in reply to: olearya

Hi,

4 years later... I'm wondering if autodesk already did something about it.

At this moment I'm trying to avoid folder creation by users.

It's just simply make configurable the user Roles.

Thanks

Pablo

Pablo Costa
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 13
jhn
Observer
in reply to: pvcosta

Another 18 months later - still no functionality for this. In all honesty this is such a basic requirement it is unfathomable. Just like being able to delete multiple folders at once etc etc etc.

Message 6 of 13
johannes.bauer
in reply to: jhn

@jhn Please see attached a screenshot from Version 2019, where you can create custom roles for this capability.

HTH
Johannes Bauer

Customer Technical Successt
Message 7 of 13
jhn
Observer
in reply to: johannes.bauer

Hi @johannes.bauer

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately the way you've implemented it, doesn't help me. On a per role basis it would apply to the entire tree structure. What I need, is to prevent users from adding more folders to the root. In sub folders users should be allowed to create folders, ie. for a new project.

The ideal implementation would allow an admin to set permissions for read, write, visible, create new file/folder on the actual tree folders. Just like i.e. NTFS permissions in Windows (attached image).

Message 8 of 13
johannes.bauer

@jhn, sorry to hear this functionality is not sufficient for you.

I would then recommend to have some keyusers, who can create folders.

If it needs to be specific NTFS functionality I would advise putting this into the ideas section of the forums.

Thanks

HTH
Johannes Bauer

Customer Technical Successt
Message 9 of 13
ThomasRambach

@jhn which version of Vault? Are you running Professional?

You can change the parent folders permission to disallow modify and allow the sub-folders modify permission. This does what you want. We have our Vault configured this way. 

Message 10 of 13
jhn
Observer
in reply to: ThomasRambach

Hi!

We use Vault Professional yes.

Thank you for pointing me in that direction. It solved my needs perfectly! Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 13
McSwiller

-If you look in the Vault SDK ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Autodesk Vault 201x SDK"), there's a sample extension "RestrictOperations" that will disallow all users on a PC where you've installed the compiled extension from doing things like Adding Folders, Deleting Folders, or Deleting Files - we've used this since 2015 R2 with great results (no additional folders created accidentally by the users - and none deleted either)

Message 12 of 13
LMITDepartment
in reply to: McSwiller

@McSwiller Can you apply this extension on individual folders, ie. the root of the top folder?

PS

My specific issue was solved using built-in features. They were just hidden/hard to find for me, but the above user pointed me in the right direction.

Message 13 of 13
McSwiller
in reply to: LMITDepartment

The sample code pertains to any/all folder creation in Vault on a PC for all users, but you might be able to enhance it to see if the user is trying to add to a particular spot (we were only interested in locking it all down for everyone but admin users, to keep the folder structure as static as we could)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report