Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Migration problem

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Kbalz
156 Views, 6 Replies

Server Migration problem

My manager and I are attempting to move our vault database from one server to another. Basically, the server the vault is currently on is running the MSDE Database Server, and the server we want to migrate to is already running a full MS SQL server (which is used for our intranet and reports).

There is no apparent documentation from moving off of one MSDE server, to a server running full SQL.. We are currently backing up the MSDE database files, and are looking for suggestions on how to proceed after that.

Thanks in advance for reading -Kurt
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Kbalz

The best thing to do would be to upgrade the MSDE instance to full SQL,
as described in the Advanced Configuration Guide.

We don't recommend utilizing an existing instance to support the Vault
databases. This is technically possible, but we don't officially support
doing this.

Jeff

Kbalz wrote:
> My manager and I are attempting to move our vault database from one server to another. Basically, the server the vault is currently on is running the MSDE Database Server, and the server we want to migrate to is already running a full MS SQL server (which is used for our intranet and reports).
>
> There is no apparent documentation from moving off of one MSDE server, to a server running full SQL.. We are currently backing up the MSDE database files, and are looking for suggestions on how to proceed after that.
>
> Thanks in advance for reading -Kurt
Message 3 of 7
Kbalz

Thanks for the reply Jeff - The reason we wanted to have the Vault SQL metadata on the same SQL server as our other data, is b/c we wanted to query the vault meta data without too many workarounds

To keep the fileStore in its current location.. would we restore the back up on the new MSDE server, then drop that Filestore, and attach a vault that is still on the remote server..?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Let me clarify -- you can use the same server (machine), but we
recommend that you use a distinct instance for the Vault data.

The easiest way to achieve this is to install the ADMS on the server you
want to use, upgrade the instance to full SQL, then restore a backup of
the data to that server.

During the restore, you can choose the new location of the filestore. If
you don't use the same machine, you face the additional effort of
administering rights on a remote file store. These are discussed in the
Advanced Configuration Guide, too, I believe.

It is *possible* to simply use a remote database server, in a manner
that I think you're envisioning, but as this entails additional
complexity, and special care during operations such as backup and
restore, we don't provide official support for this scenario.

Jeff

Kbalz wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Jeff - The reason we wanted to have the Vault SQL metadata on the same SQL server as our other data, is b/c we wanted to query the vault meta data without too many workarounds
>
> To keep the fileStore in its current location.. would we restore the back up on the new MSDE server, then drop that Filestore, and attach a vault that is still on the remote server..?
Message 5 of 7
Kbalz

Yes my software Distributer also said that it would seem possible but isn't supported.. but when I told my manager this: he said that it doesn't seem right to buy a whole nother license of SQL server just for the vault.. we already have SQL server, why should we have to have two instances running. Then I'm not even sure off had if two SQL instances can run on the same machine, or if we can easily run queries between them. If it is possible to run queries, I bet there is a huge performance hit taken in comparison to being apart of our existing sql. Message was edited by: Kbalz
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

If you have a CPU license, then a second instance will not require a new license. You can have 2 instances running on the same machine, though you would have to set something up special to run queries between them -- it's basically like 2 servers. I'm curious, though: why do you want to do that?

Anyway, it is possible to use your own instance for the data; you need to tweak some configuration files to point at the instance you want to use, and you will face obstacles when doing things like backup, restore, upgrade, etc. If you're willing to take care of those things with this unsupported scenario, then send me a private e-mail, and I can give you some pointers.

Jeff (jeffDOTpekATautodeskDOTcom)
Message 7 of 7
Kbalz

Why would we want to query the vault data? For our parts we have .asp pages that hold tons of information about that part, and some of it comes from the vault's metadata (mod date, creator, even slick links to pictures of all versions! etc...).. its really helpful for our sales guys and we have customer views which used vault data

We had this page working perfect with vault 3, but with themove to vault 4 it no longer worked. We're able to query this information out but there are join statements that need to happen between our non-vault data and the vault data. Neither my manager or I know how to query across two servers but we're looking into it today.

Seeing as how we're reaching msde's 2 gig limit, we need to move to full sql. Since we can't integrate vault's metadata into our existing sql, we need two instances.

Our overall concern is if we DO tweak the configs, and marry the vault meta data and our existing, is the upgrade to Vault 5. I'm not sure we're willling to go on our own if it would complicate this task. However, I'll email you incase we want to, thanks for the replys Jeff!

-Kurt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums